Boing Boing is 20 (or 33) years old today

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/21/boing-boing-is-20-or-33-year.html

44 Likes

Happy birthday BoingBoing and the print zine was a minor bonding moment with the then future MrsTobinL.

48 Likes

Long live the fighters! Oh, it’s not that kind of party, sorry.

tenor

23 Likes

Happy birthday BoingBoing and thanks for being here. One of my favourite stops on the web.

23 Likes

dorothy-birthday

40 Likes

Happy birthday to you.
You live in a zoo.
You smell like a monkey.
And you look like one too.

37 Likes

Happy Birthday!!!:gift::confetti_ball::tada:

Here’s to the next 30 years!

24 Likes

Happy birthday! I still have a number of the print zines stashed away somewhere…

27 Likes

happy birthday, Bb! did i miss the mention of the Happy Mutant’s Handbook?

17 Likes

I’ve been reading the online version since almost the very beginning. I am so grateful for all the cool things I’ve learned, interesting stuff I’ve discovered, and the sense of community you create. Happy Birthday, keep up the good work. Thanks for all you do.

18 Likes

I remember BoingBoing’s ads from the 'zine days – sorry to say I never sent off for an issue. I do remember Bruce Sterling giving it a recommendation, at a lecture in Austin 26 years ago (and he still owes me $5).

FWIW I think I’ve been (regularly) visiting the website for just about 10 years now, give or take a month or so.

13 Likes

I stumbled upon BB from The List Which Cannot Be Named, and never looked back. I am surprised at how many of you I have met personally at geek events (except Cory). San Francisco/Silicon Valley is quite the intellectual nexus, and you folks help me keep in touch with it. Thank you.

10 Likes

I can’t even remember being 20 (or 33) at my advanced age…

I still fit into my old tux, so that’s something…

18 Likes

Very cool.

Thanks for the history summary. And all years of wonderful things.

12 Likes

Congrats, @markfrauenfelder! And thank you so much. I’ve been reading the site since (I think) 2002, when I was in the 9th grade! BB had quite the effect on my impressionable young teenage brain, and I really wouldn’t be who am I today without it.

Anyway, I was wondering: what year did you stop publishing the zine?

14 Likes

Thanks, all, for the great mind-food-fun. Still have a few print copies in my collection… along with Mondo 2000 and OMNI.

8 Likes

Mmmmmm CAKE!

Cake Cut Floss

17 Likes

Bravo! And thank you, you’ve all made the internet better, smarter, stranger, and all around more wonderful. Keep it up.

8 Likes

That better be new dental floss you are cutting up that cake with :open_mouth:

16 Likes

Happy Anniversary! I’ve been reading BoingBoing regularly since perhaps 2002? Probably found it through Craphound. Remains my go-to time waster in between work tasks. The one meetup I went to here in LA allowed me to meet Bruce Sterling!

10 Likes