Small dog loves cheese

[Read the post]

In before some jackass calls this animal cruelty, “How can you celebrate the nonconsensual cheese torture of this dog”

9 Likes

Was it Wensleydale?

6 Likes

Venezuelan Beaver Cheese?

1 Like

My kids love Wallace and Gromit! We once found some of this cheese in a local store, bought it and… meh. Save your filthy lucre for something nice from the Cowgirl Creamery or maybe ask your local cheese monger for something rich and runny, or stinky, or blue, or aged, or smoked or sheep or goat or…

2 Likes

I’ll take any excuse to quote some classic Deteriorata, from National Lampoon’s Radio Dinner.

Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls
Would scarcely get your feet wet.
Fall not in love therefore. It will stick to your face.
Gracefully surrender the things of youth: birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan.
And let not the sands of time get in your lunch.
Hire people with hooks.
For a good time, call 606-4311. Ask for Ken.
Take heart in the bedeepening gloom
That your dog is finally getting enough cheese.

5 Likes

In my experience dogs very much consent to eating cheese; they’re apparently not very good at that whole causation thing.

2 Likes

Yeah dogs love cheese, but for some dogs it can be a bit problematic. I’ve actually seen dogs in practice with pancreatitis caused by the owners feeding cheese and similar high fat dairy foods (one was fettuccini alfredo, which isn’t exactly cheese, but you get the point). Some dogs seem to have no problem with it, others not so much.

-Jackass out!

3 Likes

@Bobo, FFS, you were preempted but you still had to go and do it…

Want to concern troll? Worry about “new kinds of peanut butter” (or your sugar-free gum) with Xylitol.

Also, maybe don’t eat it if you are a human.

This study Long-term tolerance of healthy human subjects to high amounts of xylitol and fructose: general and biochemical findings - PubMed shows that xylitol is so safe for humans that you can eat nearly half a kilogram a day of the stuff for months, and all that’ll happen is you’ll get the trots from it being a soluble but mostly indigestible fiber.

Also, it helps prevent cavities and even enhances tooth remineralization when combined with fluoride.

Good/neutral for us, deadly for dogs. Much like grapes and raisins.

3 Likes

Enjoy Arbys.

1 Like

Thank you for that! I need the ammunition when a friend – who has a few quirks, but a very good person – comes over and feeds my dog cheese by the chunks.

Just because a dog (or child) really likes a treat doesn’t mean they should get large amounts every time you see them.

2 Likes

Have they seen the new movie?

http://shaunthesheep.com

I am a veterinarian, so it’s not concern trolling. Pancreatitis is a pretty common, and often severe medical problem. Most cases I see are precipitated by the intentional feeding of high fat foods (like cheese) or cases of “dietary indiscretion” by the dog itself (worst one I ever saw was a case of fatal bacon grease ingestion).

The sugar analogues are actually a fairly big problem. Doesn’t work quite the same way in dogs, and does cause fun insulin oversecretion. I’d rather deal with that because honestly it’s easier to treat. Pick your favorite IV fluid and ram it full of dextrose. Administer while monitoring BG levels until the xylitol clears, and you’re good.

Things like chocolate have gotten so much press, but we rarely see a volume consumed that’s high enough to actually be dangerous (though there is the occasional dog that breaks into the pure baking chocolate, and is definitely in danger). Honestly it’s things like high fat consumables, plants (look up what sago palm does to dog livers…), and even recreational drugs that are more common problems.

And, and kind of had to be the jackass because while it doesn’t cause massive problems in most dogs (usually just makes them fat), it can cause medical crises in others. Hate to see potentially harmful behavior dismissed as just cute etc…

3 Likes

One of the things I appreciate at BB is that posters come from all walks of life, so we often get actual, professional information in a thread to help us understand the situation better.

3 Likes

Also, cancer.

If you Google “are dogs allergic to…?” the answer is almost always: “YES!”

Onions? Yep.
Raisins? Yep.
Brown sugar? Yes.
Tomatillos? Yes.
Fat? Now the answer is “Yes.”.

[It doesn’t matter the question.][1] “Yep, YOUR DOG WILL DIE!”

“So, are dogs allergic to over-processed, shelf-stable, toxin-filled, ‘dog food’?”

ARE YOU CRAZY? OF COURSE NOT!!!

Forget the cancer-ridden life that’s 60% the length of what they’d get eating real food. Or let’s go with "too much cheese will kill your dog!’ Nevermind that too much cheese will kill your stupid, human kid too. (It will, statistically, if you’re a parent in the US. #HeartDisease)
[1]: http://canigivemydog.com/pickles

I’d love to see where you’re getting your 60% stat from. Modern pet nutrition is significantly more advanced than what it’s been even in the past few decades (because it’s an enormously profitable market). We are indeed seeing a lot more cancer, and heart disease, and renal disease, and geriatric liver issues, and the list goes on… because dogs (and cats) have better medical care and nutrition than ever before, and are living long enough to get the ugly geriatric diseases.

On the toxin issue (read allergy for you) it just goes to show that dogs and cats aren’t just miniature humans. We differ dramatically in a multitude of physiological and biochemical ways (I type while thinking of going into the kitchen for some chocolate…)

Also, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don’t rely on “Dr. Google”. Consult reputable references (many of which are actually available through google… so I guess you can google?). Anyways, you can find everything from great academic references to absolute ridiculous and false BS. I cannot stress enough that you really need to have a reliable source when gathering medical (or really any important) information.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.