Small Italian town selling "Covid-free" houses for €1

My own country has this, but regions inverted. North and Northeast are agricultural but tend to be drier bordering on desert so when drought caused famine they went South searching for jobs. Southeast is where the megacities and money were* and many use “Northerners” as an actual slur word. Bolsonaro actually used it more than once in official discourse, the Northerners were pissed.

Gets specially interesting because thanks to USA cultural domination many rich Brazilians love North America while despising the North of South America.

This is compounded by the fact that the South received more white European immigrants than the North, so skin color gets darker the nearer you get to the Equador line so xenophobia is mixed with racism.

*Things got interesting when some desertish areas discovered good old oil under them and even before this the North got industrialized and has its own developed cities in its own right so it has more poverty pockets thanks to political interests than generalized poverty nowadays.

3 Likes

This is what worries me, living in a “ghost town” is fine until some emergency happens and you can’t reach the nearest hospital in time.

With proper infrastructure you could probably turn one beautiful Italian village into a gentrified suburb, with money enough you can turn it into a self sustainable ecological smart city, I’m actually surprised that so few rich people or real estate developers bought one. That makes me think that the caveats are pretty big to slow down gentrification.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.