Smart pet food bowl closes when pets try to overeat

What about separate “tables”, that is, a small dining enclosure for one cat at a time, enforced by RFID or pattern recognition. One cat enters, door shuts, specified amount of food is delivered, it eats, door opens, it leaves. Can set for tiny amounts at proper intervals for nervous cat (if it would even go in there), nothing at all for the possum, etc. Camera, remote door override, taser. What could go wrong?

If you adopt your critter they usually have a microchip in their neck anyway.

Also, why not for kids?

2 Likes

I’d be more impressed if it could keep ants and other bugs out of the food. Nothing I’ve tried so far has been a tidy way to dissuade them.

2 Likes

I’m wary of any gadget that controls my pet’s food supply. That’s how I buy their love. I don’t want my pets to learn to love some gadget more than they love me.

1 Like

Is it true love, or will they snuggle up to anyone who will feed them?

Dammit. An IOT thing I actually want. My cat is gearing up to be the chonkiest and I’d like to head him off at the pass…

Wonder if this works for having more than one cat. Didn’t read the article. Maybe I should.

I honestly have debated doing exactly this because we have two cats - one will graze all day long, the other one has to eat AS FAST AS POSSIBLE and then stare down cat#1, who’ll wander off when he notices being watched. If we don’t feed them at the same time though, he’ll just take a bite and come back in an hour. If we do feed them and Cat#1 gets spooked then Cat#2 immediately wolfs his food down, barfs it up, and wants cuddles and more food.

We already have a slow trickle dry food feeder, but we feed them wet food in morning/evenings and that’s where the big problem is.

1 Like

Looks like a cool idea but a bit pricey.

1 Like

Get a magnetic collar for the submissive cat? We had a door only our cat could use, surely there is a food device with the same idea. (worked just as well in power cuts)

Training him was unglamorous, it involved pushing him lightly face first into a locked door, until he got the right angle to open it. :smiley:

How about I just let them graze? They’re not overweight, they get out and play every day.

I know it needs an Arduino, I’m working on that part.

There are special bowls designed to slow the pet down. Like this one (for ex):
https://www.amazon.com/Outward-Hound-Feeder-Bloat-Orange/dp/B00FPKNRCS $12 …

That electronic piece of junk does absolutely nothing to slow the pet down, only closes the cover when enough kibble has been eaten.

There are plenty of electronic pet doors available that work with a small RFID chip in the pet’s collar if you have this issue. Pretty much fool-(and opposum) proof.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.