"Smells Like Teen Spirit" performed in the original Classical Latin

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/23/smells-like-teen-spirit-pe.html

6 Likes

“Nonne estis oblectati?”

areyounotentertained

8 Likes

Factum fieri infectum non potest.

4 Likes

Is marking long vowels with acute accents how it’s done these days? It was macrons when I were a lad.

4 Likes

4 Likes

See also:

and

8 Likes

Tempted to send this to my kiddo, who insisted on learning Latin.

4 Likes

You really can’t understand that song unless you hear it in the original.

5 Likes

TIL French in 1270 was less formal than it is today, but still quite comprehensible.

2 Likes

The formalization of most languages is a pretty modern phenomenon…

4 Likes

I’m more taken aback by the lack of change. I could read and verbally understand the old French without difficulty. I can’t say the same for the old English video.

2 Likes

That is interesting. How proficient is your French (I assume english is your first language?)?

3 Likes

Ferrellgif

2 Likes

First video seems to be an image from the Bayeux Tapestry. Very cool.

1 Like

I think people just have trouble typing macrons as they aren’t used as much in other languages. It’s still the “official” way (if ahistorical; the Romans didn’t use them, but then they didn’t use lower case either).

1 Like

A bit rusty these days, but I was fluent when I graduated university. It’s like muscle memory, though, if I’m exposed to spoken language, tons of it comes back in less than half an hour.

1 Like

It’s hard to brawrf grargle zouf

With all these marbles in my mouth

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.