Smith and Wesson's new tweet is a plug for Proud Boys

Or their kid.

3 Likes

The website for the company in question was registered on January 6th 2022.

Coincidence?

8 Likes

Those Jan 6 guys weren’t terrorists! they were “tactical athletes”. Ahh, cool.

5 Likes

Ah, they got me with “Tactical Athlete”!
Meal team

11 Likes

I love when tradespeople use that font on their vehicles because it isn’t confusing or difficult at all to make out what the letters & numbers might be.
/sarc

I don’t think Perceeption Brand has anything directly to do with S&W or any of their owners. There is no reason to think that.

It appears to be a social media thing where they paired S&W, Gemtech, and PB together to make a crossover marketing post.

PB appears to be a newer brand that has mimicked other street brands in other industries. Edgy, “extreme”, dark and brooding designs. A dash of Covid jab BS, some black letter logos because that screams “danger” among so many different factions. It looks like they are trying to appeal to the type of consumer who wears MMA shirts like Tap Out.

Had they gone with just about any other shirt in their catalog, it wouldn’t have raised alarms like this. But you pick the one with the yellow on black PB and brass knuckles on the back??

I am supposed to believe that a brand named Perce|eption Brand with the tagline “Your perception is your reality” is too fucking stupid and/or naive to know a gold PB on black screams “Proud Boy”?

They know what they are doing. Their plausible deniability of “No no, PB is for our company name! It has nothing to do with the Proud Boys.” holds as much water as Sideshow Bob insisting his tattoo is German for “The Bart, the.”

S&W is a legacy brand whose advertising is generally pretty normal. Of all the brands out there that I thought would cross this line, S&W was not who I would have guessed. Had that post not have had the PB on it, it wouldn’t have been given a second glance. I find it hard to believe who ever is doing their online marketing is too stupid or naive to not think that a yellow PB doesn’t scream “Proud Boy”. They shouldn’t be making excuses for it. They shouldn’t be trying to convince us that a yellow PB is completely innocuous and has nothing to do with the Proud Boys. They should be firing marketing people and profusely apologizing.

I can’t even give them a benefit of the doubt that they are too stupid to know how this would read. At best this is “shit posting to own the libs and rile them up” - and owning yourself association your brand with Proud Boys. At worse they want to associate their brand with fascist traitorous insurrectionists.

I wrote an email last night expressing my anger and disappointment. I don’t expect a reply.

4 Likes

PB doesn’t stand for Proud Boys

Of course not, why would anyone think that?

th

2 Likes

I saw people claiming that, but it gets back to my point about mistaken/misrepresented claims. Though the whole thing is so weird and suspicious (and the brand both so new and with such poor - and deliberately poor - brand awareness), it makes me wonder what connections they do have.

Yeah, especially since the ostensible brand name seems deliberately designed to not be functional - “Perce|eption Brand” with the “|” in the middle screws up searches, but they usually omit it, turning it into “Perceeption Brand,” but that turns into a typo for “Perception Brand,” which gets overwhelmed by massive numbers of marketing discussions of brand perception. Which all just seems like a deliberate attempt to make the “real,” functional brand name be “PB.”

6 Likes

Well there are a lot of more likely scenarios than S&W making a sister company of street wear, but doing so in a very amateur way and not utilizing the brand power of the core company.

Though it is possible there are people involved in both companies who are friendly. It is also possible PB set up a photo shoot and then approached S&W and Gemtech do a post to spotlight their brand, while providing content for them to post about their own products as well. Of course that means S&W marketing had to have their heads far up their asses to still post that pic.

But yes, I’d like to know if there is a more formal connection, but waiting for evidence of such.

It could be one of those things were you’re brand is too damn cool for normal spelling and adding extra visual elements to stand out, but makes everything hard to read and confusing to find you. They wouldn’t be the first designer making cool elements that suck ass on readability/utility.

The line in the name makes more sense when you look at their older logo, which looks more like a heavy metal band.

3 Likes

Mister44: “They wouldn’t be the first designer making cool elements that suck ass on readability/utility.”

Yea, verily. And, as a professional graphic designer, I have lost work because that’s what my clients wanted. (The customer is always right, but I don’t have to play along.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.