Snag some of these gorgeous Ruth Asawa stamps and support the USPS

I totally agree.

1 Like

I’d like to boycott the US government because I don’t agree with them at the moment. No more automatic federal tax withholding! HR won’t let me.

I’m not going to boycott the USPS because dickish things are going on in upper management there. It’s an institution that needs our help as a life-line until either:

1. An intelligent post master comes along.
  2. Rural 'Merica realizes they will now have to drive 10 miles to pick up their mail unless USPS gets funding (guess what you dopes, votes ain’t the only thing coming through the mail).

They’re just cool stamps. I got a sheet. And the Fruits and Vegetables while I was there since my wife has been going crazy in the garden this year and I bet she’ll love these.

https://store.usps.com/store/product/buy-stamps/fruits-and-vegetables-S_682704

2 Likes

The ones sold at the local 7-11 and my local grocery store are always the flag and only the flag.

1 Like

That’s too bad!

1 Like
3 Likes

Isn’t Trump’s play on this to give in and fund the post-office so that when he loses he can say “see, I told you the mail in voting would be a big fraud”?

1 Like

Purchased two books after reading the bugnuts statement by the guy “boycotting” the USPS, which is exactly what Trump & the GOP want - to starve the US Postal Service. SMH on that - we need to help in any way we can!

No, he really does seem to be trying to win by preventing voting. There’s a direct correlation between where mailboxes are being removed, for instance, and areas that went to Hillary in the last election. It’s going to take a while to undo all the things already done to the post office infrastructure, and it’s highly unlikely they’ll be reversed in time for the election.

2 Likes

He’s going to say that regardless.

He still hasn’t conceded that the LAST election count was valid and that result was the one that put him in office.

3 Likes

other people have explained the issues in depth. the disagreement between you and yourself on the issues and on appropriate courses of action for a citizen are at least as large as the disagreement between you and me.

your disagreement with yourself is so large as to beggar the imagination.

2 Likes

People boycott private businesses because that’s the only leverage they have, and because private businesses are answerable to profit above all else. Neither of those things is true of a public service like USPS. Its management is accountable to elected politicians, not financial stakeholders. They don’t get in trouble for losing money (it’s probably not even possible for them to turn a profit, given the level of service the law requires them to provide); they’re only concerned with their political mandate.

When that mandate is to run the service into the ground – as Turmp has explicitly admitted – a successful boycott would encourage USPS management to keep going on the same course.

Of course, boycotts are notoriously ineffectual anyway, and it cuts both ways – buying more stamps won’t fix anything. But the good news is, unlike private businesses, the public has a direct say in how public services are run.

Our Free Market cult tells us not to think like this; the cult tells us everything (EVERYTHING!!) is motivated by profit alone, and this sets us free because we always have the power to take our business elsewhere. Only, that power is pathetically feeble in most situations that matter, so what we* end up with is a feeling, not of empowerment, but of soul-crushing defeat. As bullshit cult ideologies go, it’s on the Heaven’s Gate end of the cost / benefit spectrum. My personal feeling is most of us would do well to shop around for a new cult.

* non-billionaires

2 Likes

Take six of these stamps and put them on cards to these guys

1 Like

I saw the show at the Zwirner show a few years ago. Brilliant, tremendous.

1 Like

Yeah, beautiful.

Not to your point but I’m reminded of…

Eva Hesse

1 Like

Just please don’t go to your local post office and buy them in person, forcing people to wait in a crowded indoor space while you do something noncritical. Last week I was in the PO to mail a package, there were like 10 of us waiting in line while one of the two window clerks was tied up with someone who was taking forever to decide which of the various stamp designs to buy.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.