Snake, 62, lays eggs without having been around a male for more than a decade

What if more than one hatches? Will they have to duke it out to decide who is our one true savior? Thunderdome?

Also:

“What we didn’t realize until relatively recently is that there are some species who normally are sexual — that is, require a male and a female to reproduce — that can occasionally reproduce without any sperm,” Dr. Losos said.

Who is “we” because I thought reptiles’ ability to do this has been known for awhile…

2 Likes

Any time something is caught without incident is a reception that could be called immaculate, but the immaculate reception only refers to one specific catch by Franco Harris. Similarly other conceptions could be immaculate, but the term “immaculate conception” specifically refers to the conception of Mary in the bible. It is more often believed to refer to Jesus’s conception in the bible, but that is just not the case

3 Likes

It’s only called “Immaculate Conception” if its from the Immaculate region. Otherwise it’s a “Sparkling Pregnancy”.

16 Likes

Trademarked ®.

“This pregnancy is copyrighted by the Holy Ghost for the private use of our audience. Any other use of this pregnancy or any pictures, descriptions, or accounts of the birth without God’s consent is prohibited.”

4 Likes

I’ve long argued that Franco needs to open a wedding venue in Pittsburgh purely for the naming opportunities.

2 Likes

Three of the eggs from the snake in St Louis zoo remain in an incubator, two were used for genetic sampling and snakes in the other two eggs did not survive, the St Louis Post-Dispatch reported. The eggs were laid on 23 July and should hatch in about a month.

Mark Wanner, manager of herpetology at the zoo in Missouri, said it was unusual though not rare for ball pythons to reproduce asexually. The snakes also sometimes store sperm for delayed fertilisation.

The genetic sampling will show whether the eggs were reproduced sexually or asexually, called facultative parthenogenesis.

(Taken from this story:)

5 Likes

Well, that seems like an immaculate objection, for sure.

Ah, so that’s the immaculate exception.

11 Likes

For Super Bowl XLIX, Wix.com ran an ad featuring retired football players using its tools to build websites for their new businesses, including Franco Harris who creates a fictional wedding planning website called “Immaculate Receptions” named after the famous play.[43]

6 Likes

Came here for this.
Was not disappointed.

3 Likes

There’s probably a simple way to prove that this number actually means 666. And everyone knows what is going to happen when that serpent’s eggs are hatching…

1 Like

The talking apple snake was Voldemort’s ancestor, so this might be his childrens ?

Snake, 62, lays eggs without having been around a male for more than a decade… or so she would have you believe.

7 Likes

Witnesses report seeing a platypus near the snake cages multiple times. What? It’s 2020 anything is possible. I’m assuming we get a Godzilla before the election somehow or another. This timeline has been Roger Cormaned.

6 Likes

Super easy.

3+ 3 is 6
6 is 6
100 is 4 in binary
There are two 0s in 100
4 + 2 is 6

See?!?!? It’s so obvious!

4 Likes

At first I didn’t think your argument held up to immaculate inspection, but upon immaculate reflection, you’re right.

4 Likes

That’s not how I was taught that Snakes and Ladders works.

1 Like

I knew you would think that. I had successfully performed immaculate inception.

3 Likes

You are correct about parthenogenesis, but komodo dragons have ZW Chromosomes (or ZZ for males). These chromosomes appear to have evolved from a different chromosome than XY ones.

2 Likes

this elderly animal has laid seven eggs

62 might be elderly by human standards but a snake with no immediate competitors of its own species may have no reason to get old and die of natural causes. Its better for its species to just sit there and churn out viable eggs.

Oh, now God is worried about consent.

1 Like