Snake, 62, lays eggs without having been around a male for more than a decade

Still correct, since snakes aren’t children of Adam and therefore don’t inherit original sin

2 Likes

Fake news. This is a bogus report aimed to draw attention away from a messy election. Had you all sucked in.
It’s an immaculate deception.

4 Likes

I’ll go with immaculate vivisection. Stay clean.

“There’s more than one way to skin a cat,” she mused, as she pinned its little feet to the dissection board.

2 Likes

This is weird. Can’t wait to see the eggs hatch, if they hatch.

1 Like

Big black Nemesis
Parthenogenesis
No one move a muscle as the dead come home

2 Likes

You do realise that Christianity has literally been around for longer than the English language, right? They invented the concept, they can use it how they want

3 Likes

It turns out that not all snakes have the same sex chromosome system, so parthenogenetic reproduction in boas and pythons produces female offspring; but it’s male offspring from all other snakes.

There’s a good summary here of all the confirmed cases of parthenogenesis in snakes up till 2016.

They mention three previous cases in ball pythons. One was similar to this case- a female that had been kept alone for 20 years. The other two involved females that had recently mated with males.

2 Likes

Thanks, actually had this in my head while reading the comments!

I think this “lady” will need to buy a ramp and not a stairway… which will help exclude one so called leader from reaching the pearly gates.

1 Like

Snakes can climb stairs though. They aren’t Daleks.

2 Likes

It’s nice to see that some journalism rules still apply.

Always get their age and address.

2 Likes

Daleks can climb stairs too. Just like R2D2, they have little jet packs down where their wheels are. So maybe they “fly” stairs?

1 Like

No, religious persons do not have the right to co-opt standard English words and demand that everyone else use them in their peculiar religious way. Any conception that is done immaculately is an immaculate conception.

If christians choose to use that phrase as a technical term for some item in their back story, that’s fine. The rest of us don’t have any obligation to treat christians’ beliefs (or technical terms) as privileged - they’re not.

2 Likes

I did not say that christians couldn’t use that phrase as a (historically recent) technical term - but they don’t hold copyright on the words, they don’t own the words, and they have no control over other people’s accurate use of the words. So whether it’s a snake or a woman getting artificially inseminated, if the conception is done cleanly, neatly and tidily, it’s immaculate. That’s what the word means.

Christians need to stop thinking that they are privileged to tell the rest of us what we can and can’t do or think.

2 Likes

You mean a board?

1 Like

Including in-vitro fertilization? Shit, millions of IC kids could be infesting Earth now. We’re probably overloaded with potential saviours. We’d better step-up production of crosses.

I’ll be honest, I toyed with several ways of phrasing this to make the joke land properly. The “nailed to a board” construct didn’t drive home the point that snakes wouldn’t need a cross-beam for crucifixion in quite the way I wanted. I also toyed with including reference to a cross as a lower-case ‘t’ in order to make the comparison more explicit, but ultimately that felt like I was underestimating my audience.

I’m not confident that I ended up with the most well-engineered version of my “snakes don’t have arms” joke, but I couldn’t let the idea go undeveloped and I stand by my work. It could’ve probably used some rewrites though. Ultimately I’ll probably revisit it in 30 years and make some edits for the Director’s Cut.

2 Likes

This is one of the very few cases in which painfully explaining the joke improves it

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.