Snapchat's new AR feature wants to be like Shazam but for the visual world

Originally published at: Snapchat's new AR feature wants to be like Shazam but for the visual world | Boing Boing

1 Like

When will the technology nightmare end…

2 Likes

Finally we’re going to know what the hell is everything in this picture

And here I was, just thinking about how I really can’t consume consumer goods fast enough without an augmented reality expert system(did I say ‘expert system’? Terribly sorry, I mean ‘cloud-native AI platform’) to help me.

I’m assuming that the glorious next generation of this technology will be able to just directly ingest my social media feeds and financial data to produce a curated subscription box allegedly personalized for my lifestyle fully automatically.

3 Likes

Um, Amazon has had this since 2010 or so? Hit the camera button in the app and it will (allegedly) identify any object and let you buy it on Amazon. It never works. It will also scan UPC codes, which occasionally works on very common items. There’s a new feature called StyleSnap which will identify all the pieces of an outfit from a photo. That also never works.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.