The augmented reality future turns out to be putting ghostly furniture in inappropriate public locales

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/09/20/the-augmented-reality-future-t.html

3 Likes

I drink coffee on that.

2 Likes

Wait, they’re already assembled?

Here’s a few more furniture apps utilizing ARKit:

4 Likes

But if you try to sit on it, you end up on the tracks. Surprise!

8 Likes

This is like Gibson’s Spook Country except the geo-located virtual objects in the book were art instead of advertisement.

4 Likes

I think it’s important to note that the New York City subway is a perfectly appropriate place for Ikea furniture. I’ve hauled many an Ikea piece over to friends’ apartments or my own via the subway.

7 Likes

These AR implementations remind me of the anime Denno Coil, where public shared spaces share AR events. So multiple people with goggles or glasses that are AR capable can see their own UI, but there is also certain objects that are also seen or experienced by everyone in a given area.

I saw about 4-5 episodes of the anime but i rather liked the AR concepts in the show. Need to remember to pick it back up.

3 Likes

Ohhh, can we have an AR/VR version of this next

1 Like

First rule of the Ikea Place app…

4 Likes

I saw it through to the end and enjoyed it. Yeah, the hacking methods use goofy cartoon AR tools, but…they’re literally tools programmed by kids, of course they are.

2 Likes

It’s like the Robot Chicken invisible jet bit!

1 Like

You know… For anyone doing a FPS game, that’s quite a handy 3D model library of props for stocking a dungeon or alien lair.

4 Likes

Now that’s a future I want to live in. Frankly, I’d love a future where you could be assured buying a piece of furniture there just required 1 trip.

2 Likes

Considering its an anime the over the top hacking stuff i don’t mind, but the concepts of shared AR spaces in the anime are really interesting.

And thanks for your thoughts on the anime, i’ll definitely have to pick it back up.

1 Like

Once homeless people get the app, they’ll start feeling right at home there with all that nice new furniture.

Can my Second Life avatar have sex on it?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.