Snowden vindicated

It is the Espionage Act that is the real problem here. Killing citizens for nearly 100 years!

2 Likes

Is that so? I mean aside from all the wiggle room you gave yourself there.

It is insidious, unnecessary, xenophobic, and divisive.

Given the government’s hate of whistleblowers, sadly unlikely.

Reporting not-quite-live from Austria, Europe.
The plane was stopped.
The plane was searched.
It was the biggest live news story in the country for a couple of days, I doubt I hallucinated. Check your facts again.

And, as for Snowden being a criminal… The US constitution defines treason as “giving aid and comfort to the enemy”.

Now, who is an enemy?

1. Someone who declares himself an enemy of the US. Not me, I like that country and many of its people.
  2. Someone who commits hostile acts against the US. Not me.
  3. Someone who is declared an enemy by the US government. I don’t know if that applies to me, it’s a state secret.
  4. Someone that the US commits hostile acts against.

Systematically undermining my basic human right to privacy is a hostile act.
Committing illegal acts on the territory of my country is a hostile act.
Systematic, large-scale industrial espionage to the detriment of European companies is a hostile act.
Spying on EU offices to gain an unfair advantage during ongoing treaty negotiations is a hostile act.
Conspiring with criminal elements in European governments to commit crimes under the laws of the respective country is a hostile act.

I never asked for it, but apparently, I am an enemy of the United States of America.
(Don’t worry, the enmity is quite one-sided. I’m not threatening war or terrorism or something like that).

Snowden gave aid by warning us that we need to defend their privacy better. And he gave comfort by showing that not all Americans support the evil deeds of their government.

So, by the letter of the law, he is a traitor.

And sorry America, you are among the bad guys here. Good guys don’t go around committing hostile acts against me.

So I ask you, from one citizen of a free and democratic nation to another, why are you defending hostile acts your government commits against me? I hope at least you’ll understand why I’ll side with the traitor in this case.

And if you don’t see how traitors can be heroes, then apparently @japhroaig’s Godwin Nuremberg tactical missile wasn’t enough. Here’s how we deal with traitors in Austria: Austria unveils World War Two deserters' memorial - BBC News

5 Likes

Well, not unless you ask nicely and buy me a GNT first.

1 Like

I don’t know, how much does one cost?

And is a GNT classified as a nuclear weapon? Because I’m strongly opposed to nuclear weapons. I like thinking of myself as a pacifist, but nukes are way too effective at large-scale pacification even for me.

1 Like

Adherence is also important

1 Like

A bottle of Decent London Dry Gin is something like $30.00 USD at a major outlet, and an 8oz can of tonic water is $1.00 USD.

So a Gin and Tonic ain’t that expensive. But it does glow under UV light.

Ah, indeed. So Snowden is a traitor if and only if he “adheres” to people who are spied upon (“enemies”).

It’s very difficult to sustain a treason conviction under the US Constitution. That’s by design, and reflects the concerns of the terrorists, insurgents and subversives who wrote the thing.

Persons who believe that it should be easier to execute and or imprison so-called traitors have tried to expand the crimes of subversion and espionage to compensate.

1 Like

snowden might be a traitor, but that isn’t for us Internet Lawyers to decide. i don’t think he is, and i also think most of the security community agrees with that sentiment. but in the end, it doesn’t matter.

this is a hard, brutal thing to say, but Patriot and Espionage need to be gutted or reined in. and if snowden is the casualty in that process… he pulled a Spock, and sacrificed himself for us, which is good. let’s just hope we get a genesis missile so we can resurrect him.

2 Likes

DELETED

(no, really)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.