Snowpocalypse 2016: Big-ass blizzard blankets East Coast

One year in Ottawa, we had 14.5 feet. Not all at once, of course, but it got pretty deep. Some people could snowshoe up to their roofs.

4 Likes

I just now noticed that chart lists ‘snowstorms’ where the accumulation is less than three inches as ‘notable’. Around here, we call those ‘not worth shoveling’, and use a broom to clear the path.

/Last year, we got little more than 580cm (228 inches or 19 feet) and it was freakin’ cold so the snow stuck around. This year, thank goodness, it looks like we’ll be having a very mild winter. And that East Coast storm is just missing the East Coast (of Canada).

4 Likes

Meanwhile, here in California…

12 Likes

yellow snow?

7 Likes

I haven’t seen Snow since the last time I was in Washington state. It doesn’t snow in the Bay area (or anywhere south of there).

Maybe it’s cause I’ve been living in the NY metro all my life but it really wasn’t that bad. My power didn’t even go out this year. Streets are clear and the sun is out in full glory.

1 Like
1 Like

Unless you venture into the mountains. But few dare to take that path.

2 Likes

The picture that headlines this article was taken from the walkway in the upper right. The seafood mart is behind all that white stuff to the left.

4 Likes

But what kind of snow are you getting?

ETA: Alexey Kljatov has some nice photos on his Flickr stream:

11 Likes

I should have remembered this website while people were snowed in with nothing to do…
[it’s free]

“Create your own snowflake. Click and drag to cut your own flake”
http://snowdays.me/

4 Likes

Awesome, but… density and preparedness. Anyone south of a out New Jersey but have much, if any, snow handling equipment. And even in places that do, a city has no where to put that much snow. That’s what happened with the 9+feet in Boston last year. Wikipedia says Boston has about 40x the population density as Ottawa. Much less space to pile snow up here. And yes, I used snowshoes to walk my dog last year.

4 Likes

So I took the kids outside around 4pm on Saturday, and I think we had about 8 inches. Another inch came down in the hour we were outside.

The babby was mystified and/or terrified, had enough trouble walking in his michelin-man snow-pants inside, and refused to attempt a step outside after he flopped down face-first into the snow and couldn’t stand upright on his own. I eventually took him for a piggy-back ride around the house, discovering a small tree that had fallen and was completely covered.

The boy actually did some shovelling. They both agreed that it was nice and special to be outsidei in a snowstorm.

I shovelled the top of the driveway, and a strip down to the road.

Made it all worthwhile on Sunday when we went out again, minus babby. At least another 6 inches had fallen (despite reports that we got only 10" total), and a neighbor had taken care of the bottom 10’ of the driveway (the worst part, always filled with frozen snow-plow detritus). The girl got stuck in the snow, the boy got stuck in the snow, he shovelled, went inside surprisingly early, and the girl lay down and declared she was going to stay there forever, and that mommy needed to bring out all of her dolls and lay them on top of her so she could play with them but they wouldn’t get cold.

Then she jumped up, took off her gloves, and started throwing snow at me for 10 minutes, until she finally realized that “they’re cold they’re cold they hurt so much!” and I helped her inside.

It took me about 90 minutes total (including kid involvement) to clear the driveway. It was a good sweat.

The wind wasn’t very strong, so it was nothing compared to the 3-day blizzards I remember from South Dakota in the late 70s. It was nice to watch the drifts forms and snow swirling atop them, and bundling up and going out into the maelstrom safe and close to a warm home. Not nearly as nice helping to clear a 100’+ driveway. When it was only 4 feet of drifts we’d help chop it up to feed into the snow blower; when it was higher we’d hire a tractor with a front-end-loader to dig us out.

10 Likes

Meanwhile, yesterday we went sledding on the usual hill by my dad’s, in the snow belt of Indiana, where normally you need an off-road truck to get up the hill with all the sleds. Instead, it was mostly dry prairie grasses sticking up through an inch or two of snow. We still had fun, but it is weird to have a snowstorm not pass through Indiana before it hits further east, that’s for sure.

6 Likes

All melting off today, but I’ve got an eight foot high pile at one end of my drive that’ll linger a while.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.