Junction City shares the best snow day announcement ever

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/26/junction-city-shares-the-best.html

Let me add that as a Southern Californian by upbringing, and a current Norcal resident, I have no idea what a snow day really is. I’ve never experienced such a thing.

12 Likes

Neat!

6 Likes

little_rascals_hi_sign

6 Likes

Don’t feel too bad; I grew up in Minnesota and only had one snow day.

In stark contrast, Kidd Junior has had eight this school year alone. Granted, two were for deadly cold, and 4 were for ice storms.

6 Likes

I call BS. It’s too good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow! So good.

1 Like

Ugh. These guys don’t even understand the basics of harmony. At least it wasn’t Scarborough Fair.

1 Like

I couldn’t listen to this with sound, and yet this song is now stuck in my head. Thanks.

That was fucking awesome.

I’m just waiting for them to next cover Rebecca Black’s “Friday.”

2 Likes

That is friggin’ impressive. I think both for you and Jr. Kidd, it has much to do with the collective attitudes of parents who in the past saw Dealing With It as an actual part of your education. Though as you said, the actual frozen sky is playing a role now.

In So Cal, probably since the advent of local TV news, if it drizzles for more than a day and half the news banners jump directly to STORM WATCH!

1 Like

I think I’d be an entirely different person if I hadn’t grown up with the likelihood of at least a few snow days each year.

I’ll never forget the intensity of listening to the radio as they rattled off the town names in alphabetical order. And even if your town came later in the list you quickly learned which towns earlier in the list served as bellwethers for yours which only served to heighten the general excitement leading up to the official announcement.

But of course occasionally your town wasn’t announced despite all evidence indicating an assured snow day. That was a bitter but valuable lesson on the indifferent nature of the universe despite what they tried to teach me in Catholic grade school.

3 Likes

Better rhythm here (from 2015):

WARNING: potentially worse earworm than Sound of Silence.

1 Like

Ah! The lyrics come, almost without effort:

Are you going to scho-ol today?
Rain, sleet, ice, slush puddles and snow…
Sidewalks too slick for the walkers safety…
Plows can’t cope, the streets just aren’t clear

2 Likes

I do hope there’s been a bit of a change in the Deal With It attitude because there were two days in 1988 that made SE Michigan’s recent Deadly Cold pale in comparison. -35F with wind chill of -50 to -60F (MN) vs. -18F with -35 windchill (MI). We still had school, and we still had to go wait for the school bus at an unsheltered stop. Which was dumb. No one should’ve been out in that sub-Arctic cold.

2 Likes

BTW there is another video from these two on Tuesday as “Another Day Bites the Dust” And another BTW, as of 5:30 it is snowing like a bat out of hell in JC.

On the other hand, from the umich admissions office

3. Don’t expect a snow day
My freshman year I was doing homework in my dorm with my roommate when a sudden burst of yelling and cheering from the hallway broke our concentration.
“What’s that all about?” I wondered as I stuck my head in the hall.
From behind me I heard my roommate yell, “Alexa, tomorrow’s a snow day!”
You might find yourself watching the snow fall, thinking that you might be as lucky as I was. Don’t count on it.
The reason we were all so excited and surprised was because it was only the second time in 37 years that Michigan had cancelled classes.
In other words, it pretty much never happens; all the more reason to invest in a jacket and a good pair of snow boots.

2 Likes

My mom graduated from JCHS in 1925 at the ripe age of 16; she later taught there. She never remembered any snow days.

Yeah, rub it in.

1 Like

Fellow Twin-Citian here. Just to be clear, that 9 inches of snow is just how much fell on Wednesday, February 20 and caused schools to be closed.

As far as the record being broken for snowiest February, as of yesterday we’ve had 36.2 inches (the previous record for February was 26.5 inches). I’ve spent over 25 hours shoveling snow so far this month, and it’s snowing again as I type this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

See also:

3 Likes