'The Children's Blizzard' of 1888 trapped children in schoolhouses across the American Midwest

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/24/the-childrens-blizzard-o.html

1 Like

tenor

4 Likes

Ah, so that’s why ‘snow days’ are a thing.

7 Likes

5 Likes

It’s easy to forget just how dangerous a blizzard can be with our advanced climate modeling, enclosed motorized conveyances equipped with 4-wheel or all-wheel drive (traction control for those of us who want better mileage) and reasonably well developed energy supplies. Still, your best option, to this day, is to shelter in place.

8 Likes

Yeah, now are schools are so safe from blizzards. Except for, you know, the horizontal, lead hailstorms that keep popping up.

3 Likes

Or god forbid cities in the South get more than a half inch of snow.

4 Likes

It only took 1/4" to shut down our school a couple months after we moved to Arlington, TX. We moved there from Minnesota. They sent us home from school, and I was sooooo confused - they said it was because of the snow. I remember thinking “this isn’t snow! There’s not enough to make a snowball.” Flash forward two years, and the only snow day I ever had in Minnesota (we moved back after two years) was a 24-30" double-blizzard the week of Thanksgiving. ::sadtrombone::

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.