Watch: Kid jumps into snow so deep he drops out of sight

Originally published at: Watch: Kid jumps into snow so deep he drops out of sight | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Brrrr!

16 Likes

I remember doing that as a kid up in Maine. We’d get some pretty nice drifts of snow after big storms and you could lose yourself in them.

Now? Now I’m with @Melizmatic when she says “Brrrr!” The kids can go bury themselves while I stay warmly inside with some coffee or hot cocoa.

12 Likes

Even as a kid, I don’t recall intentionally diving into deep drifts; only on accident, because snow melting in between one’s layers of clothing is uncomfortable a/f.

7 Likes

I remember the big Christmas blizzard of '82 where the snow drifts were so tall we were jumping off the 2nd story balcony into them. I built a snow fort in the front yard that I don’t think fully melted until March.

Ah to be young again!

14 Likes

Lake Effect snow FTW. We generally had at least 1 storm that dumped drifts (not lay-flat snow) like this right before Lake Erie froze over around the shore, as cold air from Canada picked up moisture then evacuated its bowels all over the shore up to 40 mi. inland. There’s also the traditional early April blizzard, which may put paid to N. Ohio’s hopes of seeing the 2024 solar eclipse.

8 Likes

Did he get a snow shovel for Christmas?

8 Likes

That was a fun year. We had a flood control ditch only one property away from our house, and we’d jump off the bridge into the snowdrifts.

8 Likes

Tree wells, sometimes called snow wells, are a real and dangerous thing.
Be safe out there!

6 Likes

In 82 I was still a smoker and ran out during the height of that blizzard.
It was a two-mile walk to the local K-Mart for a carton.
It was also very cold.
That, my friend, is true addiction.
I never met a junkie who would walk two miles in cold and snow for a fix.

3 Likes

All they found was a note from the ice trolls:

“Thank you for your offering, we will consider ending winter if you send us a matched set and a badminton set for them to play for our amusement.” - Grtok The Chill

11 Likes

Not so much the cold as the claustrophobia that would do me in.

5 Likes

I did this in Snowmass, CO. Was amazing, had to go do it a few more times.

2 Likes

Or an avalanche airbag?

8 Likes

8 Likes

I’ve delighted in deep snow as a child, but never above one’s head.

How do you get out?

5 Likes

season 5 GIF

7 Likes

happy last winter GIF by Modern Farmer

7 Likes

Suffocation is the bigger risk, you can’t breathe when buried under snow.

8 Likes

As I posted in a similar story about two years ago, this reminds me of 2015, when the mayor of Boston had to tell people to stop jumping from second-story windows into snowbanks . The snow was piled up high enough that anything could be hidden under them (the NPR transcript calls out “cars you forgot you had” but I think a bigger concern was fire hydrants that hadn’t been cleared yet.)

9 Likes