Sobering look at how the poor are denied American justice

Funny how the right thing to do and the hard thing to do converge so often.

Not every criminal is an angel, I understand that. But even if we assume that they all have demons within aching to unleash themselves on the rest of society, it seems a rather poor course of action to encourage those demons by constraining all other avenues and options. But then I also find the idea of “doing your time” strange. If we care about protecting society, then we should worry more about the liklihood of recidivism. If we care about deterrence, then we would spend more time scientifically studying what deters people from committing crime and applying those principles. But we care about “doing time” and “paying debts.” You can’t really extract justice from human suffering. It’s just the brutal impulse to exact pain on others manifesting itself through a legal framework.

The moral distance between you and a criminal is shorter than you think.

17 Likes

It’s perfectly normal and human to want to set fire to Brevik or, at least, to keep him in a box forever. The wise thing to want is to extend him exactly the humanity he denied his victims.

I agree with you.

9 Likes

The application of “paying debt to society” is both a calvinistic and puritanical lense to view criminal justice. It beats eye for an eye, but is fundamentally flawed. There are so many flaws, it is unreal.

Every. Male. Relative I have that is closely related has or is doing time. Or dead. I know you know the answer to this, how much did society or my family benefit from incarceration or institutionalization of half the people I love? Yeah, just sucks for everyone.

I may go full popo on this, but what the hell is recidivism in the first place? If our guiding principles are liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, then why the fu…

Wait a second, I accidentally channeled “college japhroaig” :D. I’ll put him back to bed.

13 Likes

Oh that? We are all sinners. That’s who and what we are. Alcoholics never change, and neither do criminals. For the same reasons. Sinners stay sinners and only by the grace of our Lord and Saviour can they find redemption.

Our justice system is more Christian than people care to consider or admit. We’ve secularized it, but that influence is baked in deep.

26 Likes

You fucking get it.

15 Likes

Honestly? I wasn’t raised Christian. I didn’t get it till I studied the Bible. Then, it was like seeing the code in the Matrix- I started seeing it everywhere in American (supposedly) secular civil society. You think the people who wrote the KJV didn’t have an abiding influence on English, and therefore American, law? Think again.

14 Likes

I wasn’t raised Christian as well. But even a mental Hobbit like myself can connect the dots if you study history. Ironically, even as an atheist, I am protective of religious people. It has been used as a blunt instrument so many times, in so many ways, for both grace and destruction, sometimes it needs to be tempered.

9 Likes

Run a tiny risk for huge reward? I know lots of people who said "Sure! I won’t get caught!"
Some of them got caught. Only one came out of the experience better for it, because he decided free education would help fill his time, and the education saved him.
I’ve seen the justice system close up, and it’s not just at all. Today’s privatized prison systems are worse in many ways than the overcrowded crumbling wrecks of the 70s. I don’t see the new and improved version working to “rehabilitate” any better than the old version.

edited to correct misspelling

5 Likes

Yes, sinners in the hands of an angry, angry God-daddy we all be. Ugh.

I might not have strayed from the flock as early as I did if the church had portrayed its god as more … whimsical?

That scowling skydaddy was just too hard to believe in.

14 Likes

Sobering? Okay, I have just had most of a bottle of wine. Then I read the article. Nope. Gloomy, yes, but not sober.

God, some days I love the empirical method.

4 Likes

Rock opera God? That’s something I can get behind. Can I nominate Tim Curry as Sky wizard, Idris as Adam, and Tina Fey as Eve?

The dance numbers will be holy-carping good.

10 Likes

Have you seen Michael Moore’s Where to Invade Next? The segment on the Norwegian prison system is relevant here, and eye-opening. The emphasis is all on rehabilitation - real, not just lip service.

(To those about to say Moore is cherrypicking his examples: that’s the whole point.)

8 Likes

Sure have. Michael is a person who has done far more good in his life than I ever will, though we would both be the first to admit to being profoundly… Flawed… People.

6 Likes

Xtians just love stories of criminals, junkies and alcoholics who hit rock bottom, then are only saved by finding Jesus. If you believe that we are all basically evil without religion, then these tales fit right in to your worldview.

It also gives them a ready-made narrative for when they do something bad. They briefly slipped away from God, so naturally their weak and sinful nature took over, but they prayed a lot and they’re all better now.

11 Likes

Yes! That hypocrisy and excuse-making was something else that propelled me from the fold.

11 Likes

The lawmakers may have missed a bit.

21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?

22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

Matthew 18:21-22 King James Version

7 Likes

There’s more than one way to look at justice. The utilitarian approach, where justice should be the option that benefits society the most, and that seems to be what you believe in. It’s mostly what I believe in too, but there is at least one moral quandary, granted it’s not one that comes up often.
What happens when you have a person perfectly able to make money, a lot of money, legitimately, but turns to criminal acts to acquire more?

Oh, come on!

Seems legit…

15 Likes

Good gracious. That almost makes me want to go back to feeling good about feeling bad about feeling good.

9 Likes

OK, the Quakers were very involved in creating the penitentiary concept, and it had some unforeseen consequences to say the least. But they are also one of the very few groups doing significant work for prison reform today. In my state, American Friends Service Committee is more active in prisoner rights than anyone else, including the ACLU, and is doing it with a tiny budget.

The Quakers have a historically based social conscience. That’s why they do so much work with American Indian rights, too, because looking back Quaker interactions with native folks were often not what modern Quakers would have hoped.

6 Likes