Sobering look at how the poor are denied American justice

Yes. And it is that level of courage that is awe inspiring.

3 Likes

I’m quite proud that a couple of people I’ve hired into my company who have some time in the big house under their belt. Both moved on from what they did and are pretty good employees.

That said, as a lawyer, I think you could go a long way to help companies hire ex-cons if they changed some rules about evidence: if it’s not going to be okay for a company to ask about someone’s criminal record, it’s got to be the case that the company cannot be held to account for hiring a criminal whose background puts them at a higher-chance of committing a crime on company time.

Company lawyers can’t help but ask themselves: if I can’t ask a guy about his long track record of bank fraud, what am I to do if he scams some widower out of his pension? If I can’t ask a guy about his two assaults with a deadly weapon, what am I do if he gets in a fight on his delivery route? Make it a pass through obligation: neither the company, nor someone suing the company, can ask that question. Otherwise, companies will find other ways to ask the question.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree, but I feel obliged to note that your framing of the hypothetical is a bit skewed.

The vast majority of the people fucked over by criminal records aren’t violent recidivists or career criminals.

They’re kids who got caught with a bag of weed.

7 Likes

I am the guy that, on day one of a new job, goes and finds the appropriate lawyers at the office.

For my day job I constantly think about evidence, chain of custody, care when it comes to tampering, and how Intel is gathered and protected.

From an inventors point of view, I constantly think of IP, how to protect my company, how to protect myself, and how to make it work for all of us.

From a compliance point of view, I am versed in CA, OR, Delaware, and a decent amount of EU regs.

I am not a lawyer. I hate binding arbitration. However if arbitration could shift liability in the case of people with backgrounds, I would swallow that bitter pill.

2 Likes

If you think I’m skewing it, imagine what most Fortune 500 companies do. It’s an even simpler fix to my point if you are trying to addess merely the workaday drug offenses. But if FedEx hired a guy with a few marijuana offenses and that guy – years after being clean before and then on the job – clips someone while high, believe it that that’s the PI lawyer’s big angle. You need to build in defenses for employers if this is to work.

3 Likes

Breivik was sentenced to preventive detention. If he’s still judged to be a danger to society when his time frame (10 to 21 years) is over, it can be prolonged for five years at a time. It has to proven to be unlikely that he poses a danger before he can be released. I doubt that will ever happen.

Edit: Sorry, didn’t read the post properly. Yes you are correct.

4 Likes

The rule for dog training is that if a reaction against bad behaviour doesn’t happen within 10 seconds or so it’s better to not react at all. The dog won’t associate the reaction with the action. The same probably happens in humans on a subconscious level and probably slightly longer time scale.

2 Likes

…and what has the blindfolded woman got in her other hand? A sword? I think retribution is built into the symbol.

In “Erewhon” people who had done something bad, or just felt evil urges, were given kindness and symnpathy, and state support in extreme cases; while those who were ill hid it as best they could, or face loss of face and status. That didn’t work in the book either. And the singing banks were no help either way.

I’m still trying to figure out how Varg Vikernes ended up being let go. It’s pretty clear that he went from being a death metal neo-pagan to a white supremacist while in prison. I was surprised when he got out (although last I heard, the French police picked him up on some gun charges).

Vikernes was put away before preventive detention was introduced. He must have served his time. Though I don’t remember what his actual sentence was.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.