Socially conservative mom says racy halftime entertainment drove distraught 13-year-old son to his bedroom

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/03/socially-conservative-mom-says.html

12 Likes

Well at least Jeb liked it :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

29 Likes

I guess that is the pubescent version of

58 Likes

38 Likes

27 Likes

:sits in room
“Mom and Jesus said that show was evil. How do I square that with the fact that it was THE MOST EXCITING THING I’VE EVER SEEN??”

35 Likes

Somehow I think adolescent boys surging with hormones don’t need a Super Bowl Halftime show to get their minds turning to sex. All I know is I used to find myself pitching a tent during math class, damned if I know why, but it sure wasn’t algebra.

38 Likes

Jennifer Lopez, self-made business woman, actor, singer, dancer, entertainer, producer. Net worth >$400 million.
Shakira, self-made singer, songwriter, dancer, record producer, businesswoman, philanthropist, actress, model, goodwill ambassador. Net worth >$300 million.

Yet someone these two women are being exploited.
ok.

40 Likes

I wish Graham were here, right now, so he could hear me rolling my eyes at him.

You have a president that admits to molesting women on camera for fun for starters, and you have a problem with the halftime show? Yet you support the president?

You idiots have absolutely no right to be even listened to simply to harangue anymore

45 Likes

ezgif-2-97313a2f5b4a

Also, there was Sportsball.

29 Likes

After the halftime show…

tenor

39 Likes
  1. Jesus, was I the only one seeing scantly clad singers/women on MTV at my cousins house/friends house? I had a friend groan about the Halsey appearance on SNL, and I was like, “You sound like your parents complaining about Madonna.”

2. I must be old and/or dead inside, but nothing in that performance would “send me to my bunk.” It was nice, I guess. I liked Shakira and her dancers’ costumes the best.

3. At 13, a stiff wind will set you off some times. But I guarantee he has access to much, much worse.

4. I hate our puritan roots.

5. There is a bigger issue of women not wanting to be seen constantly as sex objects, and then women presenting themselves as such. But I think the bigger lesson is to realize there is a context and time for such things. Enjoying a sexy performance is one of those times. Randomly harassing someone in public is not. Trying to conflate the two is disingenuous. YMMV.

40 Likes

Paying a woman money does not mean you get to do whatever you want to them.

7 Likes

That’s not algebra, it’s geometry.

40 Likes

Repression and denial of sexual desires has caused at least a million times more harm to human minds than anything else. “Just say no” is the stupidest and most emotionally damaging slogan ever spoken.

19 Likes

It means she can do whatever she wants to us!
We are willing participants.

3 Likes

I recently listened to the “Cosmos” audiobook, and I liked Carl Sagan’s observations and thoughts about sexual repression (among other things), and its impact on people and society. Mainly, that the symptoms caused by sexual repression show that it is so unhealthy to human development (and contributes to significant social dysfunction) that it may be worth labeling and treating as “inhumane”. I suspect this particular parent and child may be exemplifying this situation, and that it’s (sadly) not an uncommon one.

25 Likes

Yeah, I’m unmoved by crocodile tears about exploitation of women from an Xtianist televangelist who supports Il Douche.

As for the mom, she can just believe that her boy went to his room in righteous outrage. It’s about as credible as her other beliefs.

38 Likes

Yeah, but I bet this Karen didn’t complain when last year’s halftime show drove her directly to her shower-massager…

16 Likes

What do you imagine was done to them? I’m pretty sure they expected to be looked at and drooled over.

2 Likes