Sociopathic anti-maskers were a problem in 1918, too

He still says wear a fucking mask.

5 Likes

Health inspector wasn’t having it.

SF Chronicle - Link

“John Raggi, arrested on Columbus Avenue, said he did not wear a mask because he did not believe in masks or ordinances, or even jail,” The Chronicle reported. “He now has no occasion to disbelieve in jails. He is in the city prison.”

Mask-related defiance became violent. A Chronicle story headlined “Three Shot in Struggle with Mask Slacker,” gave a detailed account of health department inspector Henry D. Miller confronting mask-less blacksmith James Wiser, who was on a street corner telling a crowd “they are the bunk!”

7 Likes

I wonder how much trouble General George Washington had with anti-vaxxers?

1 Like

A blacksmith in prison? That reminds me of a certain scene from the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

Will: I’ll get you out of here!

Jack: How’re you gonna do that? The key’s run off.

Will: I made these doors. These are half pin barrel hinges. With the right amount of leverage and the proper application of strength, the door will lift free!

Jack: Wow, you sound like a pretty shitty blacksmith.

9 Likes

At that point in history it had not been that long since physicians had accepted washing their hands before surgery as necessary so what are non experts to do. People generally are going to do whatever they want until it kills them. Trick is to not let them take you with them.

2 Likes

More than none, I would say…

6 Likes

This is every single public health crisis. Seat belts, vaccines, fluoridated water, the list goes on and on.

America’s “rugged individualist” myth always clashes with public health measures, because they, by definition, mean giving up some microscopic personal liberty for large societal gain. The frustrating thing is that people equate public health measures (even temporary ones) with all other forms of government regulation or control. Ironically, these same people cheerfully vote away huge swaths of their rights for things like The Patriot Act. It’s a world view that makes no sense to me at all. The Patriot Act is like 20 million times more loss of liberty than a request to kindly wear a mask, yet it was cheerfully enacted with minimal resistance.

14 Likes

There are a hell of a lot of people out there who have no real choice in being out in public. Then they have to deal with selfish people who refuse to do the slightest thing to help protect those people who have to be out there. They don’t get a choice to not them them “take them with you.”

7 Likes

That’s the tricky part.

The fact that there is some percentage of the population that does not care if they kill others with a contagious disease isn’t just a “tricky” problem. It’s a serious health concern for people who can’t spend most of their time locked down. Those of us who can are privileged as hell, and we should keep pushing to keep our country on lock down and to keep as many of us as possible safe, especially people serving the public in essential roles.

7 Likes

Have you heard of Sen. Thom Tillis (R-NC)? He thinks the sign in restaurants saying " employees must wash hands before returning to work " is an unfair burden on businesses.

6 Likes

Wow. That’s a new low. I had not heard that story.

3 Likes

Next month:

Sen. Thom Tillis has been taken to hospital because of e.coli.

6 Likes
5 Likes

But he went on to explain himself by saying those businesses should be required to inform customers if they don’t have a hand washing policy:

“I said that I don’t have any problem with Starbucks if they choose to opt out of this policy as long as they post a sign that says, ‘We don’t require our employees to wash their hands after leaving the restroom.’ The market will take care of that,” Tillis said.

So the facepalmingly obvious question is: as long as you’re requiring businesses to do something either way then why not just require them to do the thing that actually protects public health?

6 Likes

Yeah, the fucking market did take care of it! We all got together and paid for health inspectors to make sure that they wash their goddamned hands! That way I can walk into a restaurant that I don’t know, and be confident that I probably won’t get food poisoning.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.