Sociopathic anti-maskers were a problem in 1918, too

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/17/sociopathic-anti-maskers-were.html

10 Likes

As it was then as is now. You can’t fix stupid.

22 Likes

It’s galling that in school we were repeatedly told, “those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it” when it’s clear from studying history that it is constantly repeating itself.

29 Likes

Here’s a telling image from that time, which further indicates that merely sane mask policies had to have threats added to them (note the sign on the rightmost person) -sigh-

(reputed to be taken in Locust Avenue, California (~San Bernardino), during the flu pandemic of 1918)

23 Likes

Ain’t nothing new under the sun.

4 Likes

Every time I see “anti-mask” I instantly go to this clip from The Watchmen:

Okay, so it’s not exactly on topic, but given 2020…

I can understand some twisted logic in giving an inch and the government (or powers that be) will take a mile. But there is a huge distance between wearing a mask, getting an identification tattoo, and being chip implanted (and throw in taking all your guns along the way).

This all reminds me of seat belts. My dad never wore a seat belt when I was growing up (nor did anyone else in the car) and that wasn’t illegal. Then we went to front seat enforcement. I wore one when upfront and sometimes in the back (not a lot). Then we moved to everyone all the time. Even at that point he rarely wore one. Obviously I had moved to wearing one all the time. Now a couple decades on he wears one begrudgingly. Sure a seat belt really only affected him, but similar attitude of it being “my” choice.

3 Likes

dooming those of us who do.”

11 Likes

Proud and destructive right-wing ignorance has a long history in the U.S.

23 Likes

This mindset is absolutely incomprehensible to me. The lack of effort, the utter selfishness. Then again, I’m not a child with an anti-authoritarian tantrum brewing every second of every day.

14 Likes

The slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy that is often (usually) pulled out when there aren’t any other reasons that aren’t also fallacies.

When you hear it used, you can be relatively certain that you have won.

Note: It is not a fallacy with regard to ice-covered streets and sidewalks OR if the escalation is actually likely (instead of the usual “Then what stops someone from marrying dogs!” but instead “If we have to wear masks, next you’ll tell us to watch out what we touch!” But that’s it.

11 Likes

It’s also not really that uncommon for people to say “why do we have to focus on things that happened in the past”?
They’re like asshole hipsters that refuse to listen to music that came out before last week or that someone else has listened to before. Only 100 times more of an asshole.

4 Likes

Of course, in this case our collective safety is at risk if the hold-outs take a couple of decades to come around.

10 Likes

Then, as now, the primary motivation of the leaders of the anti-maskers was political.

7 Likes

Wow, I had no idea they were also called the Native American Party. What a hunch of assholes.

9 Likes

The more things change, the more they remain the same…

Yep, The current Covidiots are a combination of the Anti Mask League and The Know Nothing Party.

Our history just repeats, and the stupid never dies with the stupid ones- they make sure to pass all their ignorance and irrational hate on

7 Likes

I wonder if we can patch this bug in humanities firmware?

2 Likes

anti-maskers were a problem in 1918

And each and every one of them is dead now. There’s your lesson.

6 Likes

Are you sure? 1918’s only 102 years ago. :smirk:

8 Likes

5 Likes