Sock sniffer suffers from fungal infection in lungs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/19/sock-sniffer-suffers-from-fung.html

3 Likes

When they call fetishes mostly harmless dangerous fungal infection is not the bit of harm I expected to be hiding in them.

7 Likes

Well, not directly related, but this story makes me cringe and when I think of foot nasties I think of the TSA, making us all walk without our shoes through the same unwashed carpet and scanners, plus putting all of our stuff in the same unwashed trays that they make people put their dirty shoes in.

7 Likes

I’m not sure if I’ve read something before about dangers of sniffing laundry, or if that was strictly a feature of old ads for Gain.

11 Likes

I knew a man who got a dangerous fungal infection, but he was in treatment for leukemia, not merely sleep-deprived. My money’s on hoax.

1 Like

I think I’m still going to guess that sniffing dirty socks is an order or magnitude or two less dangerous than crossing the street.

3 Likes

Well that stinks.

10 Likes

Right? Almost as bad as sudden glitter and fart smell.

6 Likes

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

3 Likes

He eventually confessed to being a dirty sock sniffer.

Roger That!

3 Likes

I feel like it doesn’t take much to unbalance the apple cart, though. I had a little cold, which resulted in a raw nose from blowing it so much. That mildly weakened immune system and abraded skin was all it took for me to get Erysipelas. The bacteria is always there on your skin, but mostly your body can easily fight it off.

So if this guy was under enough stress to depress his immune system AND snorting sweaty foot funk…

5 Likes

I think it does and it doesn’t. Humans are a bizarre mix of resilient and horrifically fragile. Guiness puts the longest fall anyone has ever survived at 10km, but people have also slipped on ice and died from the impact. It’s easy to look for factors that affected it, but like you said, the bacteria and fungi are always there to begin with; when they become a problem is pretty random (that is, chaotic, for any random/chaotic pedants).

3 Likes

I can easily envision an Ebola pandemic spread by the TSA.

2 Likes

Not into sniffing socks but I have had a fungal lung infection and that shit ain’t fun. It can kill ya.

2 Likes

Aww, bless his freaky little heart.

godblessthefreaks

3 Likes

In any case, he says, it “reinforces the notion that one ought to launder ones socks frequently rather than trying to make a daily assessment as to whether you want to put them on again for the seventeeth time.”

jah, well, you know how it is; all of a sudden there are only last pairs left…

I don’t mean to sound judgemental; but on behalf of my colleagues I really must argue that if your fungal vice is dirty sock odor you really ought to at least consider some of our other offerings.

2 Likes

Vanderbilt University infectious disease expert William Schaffner says the news report seems “dubious” but certainly not impossible.

“Dubious but Certainly not Impossible” = Clickbaitable!

1 Like

3 Likes

First thought: Blargh!

Second thought: There’s fungus among’us.