"The Last of Us" irresponsibly promotes a fear of mushrooms

Originally published at: "The Last of Us" irresponsibly promotes a fear of mushrooms | Boing Boing

2 Likes

He seems like a fun guy.

28 Likes

11 Likes

Stamets is a bit of a weirdo, but of the lovable variety. They interviewed him for one of the Star Trek Discovery aftershows (a character on the show is named after him and is also a mycologist), and it was amusing to see his big scruffy beard on a screen three times size of the host’s head

14 Likes

Bats and wolves would like a word.

16 Likes

Or another Dr. Robotnik.

3 Likes

Sure, but the ant controlled by fungus story is perhaps the scariest naturally occurring thing I can think of. Since I first heard of it as a kid it has been regularly popping up in my mind, and it gives me the shivers each time. No wonder it eventually became a movie plot.

19 Likes

Fixed that for you. But yeah i do think that calling the angle of mushrooms being able to change and control a human host as irresponsible a pretty big stretch. I found it a pretty fascinating idea when the game first came out, my feelings towards mushrooms and fungi hasn’t been altered for the worse and i doubt most people will suddenly live in fear of mushrooms

5 Likes

a.k.a When true-to-life documentaries get it horribly wrong. oh no. My favorite was the shark documentary in the 70s, Jaws.

4 Likes

Jaws had a similar effect on sharks. Made people fear them MUCH more than before the movie came out, but also prompted a lot of study.

2 Likes

Mushrooms themselves did a pretty good job of giving me a fear of them already :wink:

Death Cap and Destroying Angel are just some fun varieties.

I’ll stick with the grocery store thanks.

15 Likes

First thing that comes to mind:

Gaiman had a nice take on it too, available in the “Preferred Text” edition of Neverwhere. (If you’re wondering, I couldn’t really tell the difference between the “Preferred Text” and the original - but eh, it’s worth rereading anyway.)

But Tumblr did it best, really.

8 Likes

Given how many of them will kill you, I’d say its a reasonable fear.

I am not a big fan of them. They are ok mixed into things. But I will leave it to the store bought ones.

1 Like

What about those worms that eat insects insides then puppet their exoskeletons about. Don’t forget about them!

13 Likes

I’ll never eat a mushroom that I find in the woods. But, I’ve been reading Entangled Life by Merlin Sheldrake lately and I’ve never been more fascinated by mushrooms (and I’ve always found them interesting).

2 Likes

Mushrooms are amazing, even the ones we can’t eat but yeah even if i could forage for mushrooms i would be terrified to pick up something that will kill me or make me incredibly ill

4 Likes

That’s exactly why I don’t forage for them. I’m pretty good at identifying things in the forest, but I’ve also got pretty bad luck. That’s not a good pairing.

6 Likes

Wait a minute…

7 Likes

I did a double-take, too. Totally questioned if it was a real post or AI tomfoolery. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Somebody’s just jelly…

6 Likes