Solving the mystery of red quarters: why are some coins painted red?

The only thing more annoying than Americans assuming everyone else consuming their media is also American is Brits thinking every non-British person consuming their media is American.

5 Likes

I tried following that thinking it might be instructional and that this would be the day I understood crazy money shit finally, miles and acres could not be long behind, but the half a guinea and full guinea makes me wonder is it all a pisstake?

5 Likes

I have a feeling that the real reason many resisted decimalisation was that merchants used to the system saw, let’s say, arbitrage opportunities when dealing with overwhelmed customers.

5 Likes

A pound is not enough? I’ll give you two half guineas then. Can’t say fairer than that.

4 Likes

I’m not sure ‘half a guinea’ ever really got much currency, TBH.
I can just about remember farthings

2 Likes

A local arcade I went to in the early '80s did the same thing, except theirs were blue. Their thing was, if you had a high score on three machines at the end of the week you got a certain number of blue quarters you could use, I don’t remember how many. I got them once.

4 Likes

John Wick uses these when he’s run out of official The Continental Tokens.

3 Likes

Ahh, I love the sound of a red box in the morning

ah yes, i remember when “redboxing” meant “sticking it to the feds” not “renting a movie”

4 Likes

It cheers me up a bit that this problem was posed on a harvard entrance exam and not to 7th graders.

1 Like

Who needs one of those when you have a pull tab?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.