Solving the mystery of red quarters: why are some coins painted red?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/10/solving-the-mystery-of-red-quarters-why-are-some-coins-painted-red.html

8 Likes

What’s a “coin”?

19 Likes

It’s what you use to “make it hail.”

18 Likes

A quarter is 5 short DTMF beeps of 1700 Hz and 2200 Hz in quick succession.

18 Likes

I’ve just been helping Technical Granddaughter with her maths homework and it’s all about coins and cash money. Which she might never really use. But all maths problems are useful.

12 Likes

Canadian quarters were painted red in 2004 in order to (pick one):

a) spy on American defence contractors using nanotechnology, or

b) fuck with American security for the lulz.

21 Likes

Even more so in the past.

14 Likes

Yeah, I errr, could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you… :grimacing:

12 Likes

trick question. it’s impossible to answer without knowing what the fed is doing :wink:

11 Likes

It’s the new red cent because inflation.

11 Likes

I’m told it’s the sound a duck makes in France.

8 Likes

A train leaves Chicago at 7am, traveling west at an average of 35mph. Another train leaves Kansas City, MO at 8:30am, traveling east at an average of 40mph. One of the passengers on the westbound train is a librarian. One of the passengers on the eastbound train is a butcher. What does the butcher weigh?

Lamb chops

12 Likes

As someone who worked in an arcade in the 90’s I can verify that we used them as house quarters to test a coin slot or give a free play. The red made them super easy to pull out of the bins or coin counter. We had a set number, and they all had to be accounted for when we would balance our cash on hand.

Every time I see one now, I do get a bit nostalgic…

16 Likes

It was me… my parents owned a 7-11 in the 80’s
She painted 2 rolls of quaters and paid me to sweep the parking lot, face off the shelves, fold the papers on the weekends ar 5am.
I had the orange quater roll maker…
3 bags of quaters from 5 machines…
Id have to sift out the red ones and give them separated.

Confronted her 10 years ago… calling her out for about $25k in back pay for 7 yrs of picking up cig butts.
But finding the RC and NIHi caps to peel back the plastic seal to show winning $.10

Ahh great to be GenX

7 Likes

Or a dong sound, with a dime being two dings, and nickle a single ding.

4 Likes

Reminds me of an old Feynman essay.

12 Likes

Obligatory footnote from Good Omens:

NOTE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE AND AMERICANS: One shilling = Five Pee. It helps to understand the antique finances of the Witchfinder Army if you know the original British monetary system:

Two farthings = One Ha’penny. Two ha’pennies = One Penny. Three pennies = A Thrupenny Bit. Two Thrupences = A Sixpence. Two Sixpences = One Shilling, or Bob. Two Bob = A Florin. One Florin and one Sixpence = Half a Crown. Four Half Crowns = Ten Bob Note. Two Ten Bob Notes = One Pound (or 240 pennies). One Pound and One Shilling = One Guinea.

The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time because they thought it was too complicated.

19 Likes

Meanwhile, the hollow quarter is most commonly available as a US quarter. I had one once but never had any good use for it, it’s now in someone else’s coin collection.

10 Likes

So it’s not aliens?

3 Likes

past

5 Likes