Some idiot torched hives with half a million bees in Texas

Please do not overreact.

As I know a bit about honeybees (and some other bees too…), let me explain. From the look of the photographs, there were hives and nucleuses. Half a million bees would be about 20 colonies. Regrettable damage, but still relatively modest.

Then, we are talking about vandalism here. Some clues point towards a beekeeper, probably one who did not like the owner of the bees and not eco-terrorism. How do I know? I just watched the pictures.

Then the story about honeybees disappearing. In truth, we are not missing honeybees on this planet. The USA has a lack of them, but because agriculture in the USA is generally a problem. The rest of the world is doing comparatively fine. Not great, but ok. For honeybees.

Other pollinators, like other bees, bumblebees, etc… are considerably more threatened. That is the real problem.

Do you want to help? You can and that is surprisingly easy. If you have a garden, balcony or window facing south, bring some plants for the pollinators. Kitchen herbs are a sure choice, much better than anything else you can buy (and taste good, too…). Try thyme, sage, mint, red pesto, rosemary, etc… You will be surprised by the number of insects, even in the middle of a city.

Quick note: first line edited because the post was flagged and hidden. It is the first time one of my post is both liked several times and flagged, so I am a bit puzzled.

12 Likes