Someone has been leaving $2 bills inside hotel bibles and asking people to post photos to #2dollarbible

Originally published at: Someone has been leaving $2 bills inside hotel bibles and asking people to post photos to #2dollarbible | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I can see the words on those simple notes providing more solace than the entirety of the KJV could for someone opening one of those Bibles.

8 Likes

How many Americans will be surprised to learn that there is a two dollar bill? (I gather that they’re rare in many places, plus people do odd things like tear the corners off.)

1 Like

I have a wad of $2 bills in my “special” bank. It is a barrel shaped bank from Germany with my name on it. I need to find the key to get back into there. But anyway, ONE of them is a Silver note.

4 Likes

These are all going to be gone as soon as the Maids/Cleaners find out about this.

4 Likes

The last time I went to Monticello they had the admission price set so that you got a $2 bill as change. A bartender I work with seeds his tip jar with a $2 bill “for luck.” This also reminds of the whole “Where’s George?” bill tracker. They have a section for $2 bills too.

4 Likes

Seems like a great way to build a database of users/location/time!

Those who believe $2 bills are unlucky often think tearing the corner removes the bad luck. Snopes on $2 bad luck.

Which I find odd, as the only luck association I previously knew about was giving $2 bills as lucky money for Lunar New Year because $2 bills are good luck.

I wonder if racists came up with the bad luck nonsense after they became popular amongst Asian Americans for lucky money.

3 Likes

Seems like a safe bet to me.

3 Likes

We have a stamp that I use occasionally to mark bills with, “Stamp $$$ out of politics”. There’s something I really believe in.

3 Likes

Rocky Raccoon, checked into his room, only to find… “woo hoo, two bucks!”

8 Likes

I’ve read that two dollar bills are considered lucky in Vietnam, so I have a few saved up for when I go to Vietnam (hopefully soon).

3 Likes

Ahh, that might be it. The people I’ve known who use them for lucky money are Vietnamese Americans

4 Likes

This is from the Wikivoyage article on Vietnam.

“US$2 bills (especially those printed in the 1970s) are considered lucky in Vietnam and are worth more than US$2. They make a good tip/gift, and many Vietnamese will keep them in their wallet for luck.”

I hope that I can make somebody’s day when I visit.

4 Likes

If it were me I’d put $3 bills in the bibles.
Most Americans would probably try to spend them.

I used to be into that a bit, about 15 years ago. I probably only sent about 50 of my own bills out into the wild, and got maybe one hit, but I did log any bill I received that had a tracking number on it.

The interesting thing about that site was that it had a political forum that was the first forum I really found where both sides would just go at it, all the time. The userbase (at least of that subforum) was probably 70% conservative, but it was the first one I knew of that wasn’t clearly for one side or the other. I really used to get into my arguments, because both sides would actually tend to read whole posts and reply with at least a modicum of thought. …Eventually I realized that logging in to a dollar bill-tracking site in order to fruitlessly argue with conservatives wasn’t at all a healthy use of my time, but it still has a bit of an old-web nostalgia for me.

6 Likes

USA ones, twos, and fives are fine, but beware any three-dollar bills. :sunglasses:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.