Someone is putting hats on pigeons in Las Vegas

I guess she’s kind, for a feudal monarchist…

4 Likes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/10/why-are-pigeons-in-las-vegas-w.html

2 Likes

i think pretty funny unless they are super glued on or something. then the perp should have a cowboy hat superglued to their own head to see how they like it.

1 Like

Nah, it’s even funny with super glue. Any other bird, I would feel differently.

2 Likes

Why are pigeons in Las Vegas wearing cowboy hats, you ask?
Because:

1 Like

for Dragon Age fans.

1 Like

i think we have nathan pyle to thank for this…

sad that someone would take it seriously and do this for real.

5 Likes

I want to be mad… as someone who loves birbs and rescued a few. Still this makes me laugh and I just hope they weren’t stressed when they were attached and that the glue is something non toxic that will dissolve naturally in a timely manner.

6 Likes

Hats a bad pun.

5 Likes

So torn… I hate animal cruelty, but I also kinda loathe pigeons in general.

13 Likes

Dr Seuss, living incognito above the MGM Grand, is road testing a sequel to The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins. Tentative title: The Behatted Pigeons of Iphigenia Hitchens. It’s rumored to be darker than the usual Seuss fare, and there’s been talk that Scorsese wants to option it as a follow up to The Irishman.

6 Likes

A “pigeon positive” animal rescue group called Lofty Hopes is now trying to catch the pigeons and safely remove their hats.

Wait, there’s a “pigeon positive” animal rescue group? They’re a fucking invasive species. They’re tolerable because they mostly stick to cities and because we wiped out America’s native pigeon a century ago, but we need exactly 0 more of them. In my neighborhood they’re moving in and bullying the native doves out of the way, without any significant local predators taking them down. They’re generally too big for Cooper’s Hawks and cats, and too fast for Red Tails.

Anyway, no one tell “Lofty Hopes” about the plight of Burmese pythons or Lionfish.

4 Likes

In my neighborhood in NYC we have a red tail or two who subsist mainly on pigeon. There’s at least one red tail that has developed an urban attack strategy where she chases pigeons toward tall buildings then knocks them mid-air into the building wall to stun them, at which point it’s game over for the Sky Rat. But we still have way too many pigeons.

5 Likes

Apparently more than a few have developed a strategy of purposely driving them into windows. I actually saw that happen close to me, but the hawk didn’t immediately retrieve it, so I’m not certain it was intentional there.

I think it’s very unfair to call them sky rats. Rats are actually very intelligent and fastidious creatures. I prefer “feathered cockroaches”.

3 Likes

Scorsese-style pigeons you say? Well, they were bound to get around to rebooting it …

10 Likes

<-- #TeamFalcon

3 Likes

we’ll stop with the hats if they’ll eat all the mosquitos.

2 Likes

i’ll allow it.

5 Likes

First of all, they’re pigeons…
Second, they look rather dapper.

6 Likes

They still look embarrassingly underdressed next to the penguins.

12 Likes