Someone pulled their dick out: 2022 Grammy winner Louis C.K. and the #MeToo movement

9 Likes

Are you under the impression that confessing to wrongdoing grants some kind of protection from consequences?

The point of the movement isn’t get people to confess. The point is to hold abusers accountable, listen to the abused and hopefully prevent it in the first place.

14 Likes

But what about the MENZ?!? /s

11 Likes

From the article…

Dworman said that “there can’t be a permanent life sentence on someone who does something wrong.”

So how do lifers end up in jail?

14 Likes

Well, that’s different, see, because they’re usually not rich and white… /s

14 Likes

A sarcasm tag is actually ironic; because that statement is completely accurate, sadly.

12 Likes

This is the moment that strikes me: when the male relative pulled his dick out, she froze.

It’s completely understandable. That’s because we women have been given no tools to deal with such things – despite the fact that they are commonplace. Really freaking commonplace. For every newsmaking Louis C.K. dick-exposure, there are probably 500 that don’t make the news.

Most of the time, we either freeze, or hurry away.

We don’t call police, because, really, what’s the point?

I’ve been clearly instructed that acting horrified is just what they want, it turns them on, so that’s no good either.

It’s intimated that these guys are dangerous and unstable, so it’s best not to antagonize them. So all we do is freeze, most of the time.

Remember the moment where we summoned the collective courage to teach children that no one should touch their bathing suit area, and if it happened, “Yell and tell”?

Women I know who’ve been through this most often say, “I didn’t know what to do.” Unfortunately, sadly, sickly, we’re at the moment where women and girls need to be explicitly taught the best practices strategy for dealing with a guy pulling his dick out.

I don’t have the answer, but I’m hoping that we can come up with one, and learn it and share it, “yell and tell” it.

And don’t @ me with talk of “victim blaming” simply because I want to feel empowered and empower others with knowledge, because I want to learn dick-wagger self-defense skills. If it happens to me, I want to know what to do besides stand there wondering WTF I’m supposed to do. Because it feels like my lack of knowledge gives the offender a lot of his power.

17 Likes

This is important for boys, too.
When I was first molested I remember my fear of telling, because when I was caught at sex play born of curiosity a few years earlier, it earned me a very hard spanking. So, my abuser knew I was bound by fear of both him and of punishment just for being in a compromised situation.
Too often, children receive mixed messages about what is permissible, and what they should do.

15 Likes

To both of you. If we taught boys and girls from a young age “when someone unexpectedly and unsolicited shows you their dick the proper response is IMMEDIATELY PUNCH THEM IN THE DICK AS HARD AS YOU CAN”

Perhaps we’d solve the issue generally speaking. Some masochists might keep doing it but it might prevent others.

I’m kidding. But not kidding. Because when I think of a man whipping his dick out at someone without consent it makes me want to kick him in the junk. Sadly this won’t actually solve the problem.

4 Likes

I look at the historical data (including Cleopatra, Catherine the Great, Elizabeth the 1st, Indira Gandhi, Margaret Thatcher etc.) and I can’t tell if men are actually more dangerous in positions of power or if the data shows those with power over others are inclined to use/abuse it and women are just so often denied positions of power.:thinking:

Whatever the situation is and despite all my reservations about hegemonic power structures I’m still game to see what the world would look like if we gave a rotating lottery-based council of ordinary grandmothers a go at running the show!

4 Likes

Hell’s Grannies for President!

4 Likes

Patriarchy isn’t the same as leaders having outies. Those women all held power in man’s world, and every one of them navigated power structures built for men.

15 Likes

All who still lived in societies dominated by men. Elizabeth the first wasn’t ever meant to be the ruler of England, neither was her half sister Mary. Their father LITERALLY CREATED AN ENTIRELY NEW RELIGION to ensure that didn’t happen (it did anyway, and Elizabeth I proved how foolish he was). Plenty of women operate in service of the power structure, and it doesn’t automatically make it a matriarchy.

Also, what @GulliverFoyle said!

14 Likes

Sure, patriarchy is part of the power structure and I removed a line about “not discounting patriarchy here” because I thought it obvious (figuring patriarchal influence was assumed knowledge here at BBS) but my observation still stands.

(edited for clarity)

“P.S. Fag is not a great insult that means asshole and once you learn the history of a word when you become an adult perhaps you shouldn’t do a routine that gives cover to every bastard on the internet that wants to slur gay people.”

–And the origins of the epithet were not remotely the ones cited on Sique’s sitcom. Comes from an insult from a dialect of Italian. But, given everything above, is this a surprise?

And it’s now used as a gay slur.

tumblr_ln22hsRdVh1qzgecuo1_500

8 Likes

The original was a slur on gay men as well. My point, as the next sentence I posted made clear, I thought, was that Sique is not really a source of much cogent thought about much of anything.

Maybe on how to further hurt those he’s already bullied.

1 Like

Okay…

I agree.

5 Likes

The American slang term is first recorded in 1914, the shortened form fag shortly after, in 1921.[8] Its immediate origin is unclear, but it is based on the word for “bundle of sticks”, ultimately derived, via Old French, Italian and Vulgar Latin, from Latin fascis .[8][9]

wikipedia

The word faggot has been used in English since the late 16th century as an abusive term for women, particularly old women,[9] and reference to homosexuality may derive from this,[8][10] as female terms are often used with reference to homosexual or effeminate men (cf. nancy , sissy , queen ). The application of the term to old women is possibly a shortening of the term “faggot-gatherer”, applied in the 19th century to people, especially older widows, who made a meager living by gathering and selling firewood.[10] It may also derive from the sense of “something awkward to be carried” (compare the use of the word baggage as a pejorative term for old people in general).[8]

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.