Someone's "selling" colors as NFTs

Has anyone thrown the NFT of Discord yet?

• Take all the NFTs of the Bored Ape series
  • Make an NFT of them.
  • Imply, but don’t actually say, this gives the owner some kind of rights to the whole Bored Ape mess.
  • Sell it, and cash out.
  • Run like the Gingerbread Man!
5 Likes

I’m getting dizzy

3 Likes

Apparently so:

3 Likes

To be fair large corporations have been trying for years to use the trademark and patent system to get their own dedicated color and keep other people from using it: What Can Brands Learn From a New "Tiffany Blue" Art Stunt? - The Fashion Law

4 Likes

Actually, there was a very, very, very good book where this was a key plot point. It’s the Three Body Problem. I just finished the trilogy. It was definitely enjoyable and has absolutely nothing to do with NFTs, but thought I’d post here anyway even at the risk of being off topic.

2 Likes

Ah, but the prestige of using an un-contaminated pure #000000 or #FFFFFF

6 Likes

This “Color Museum” isn’t even a museum. It’s just a front fot these scammy little tokens.

If you prefer, there is a real colour museum in Bradford:

5 Likes

I know an engineer at that company. He told me a story about the marketing people getting frustrated with the blue packaging contractors. They would specify pantone xyz, but the color would be “wrong” if it were used with say matte paper vs glossy paper, vs. any other material. The marketing people didn’t understand that the dye or ink used could be correct and still not match. I had no idea that the company was so strongly associated with a color until the engineer told me the story. I’ve never shopped there.

6 Likes

Henrietta Lacks’ estate should have priority.

6 Likes

That’s probably the point. Of course anyone can (threaten to) sue anyone else about anything regardless of legal merit, but when your choice is between picking a different colour for your menus and getting stuck with $$$ in costs, not to mention loads of time and hassle, for what is an uncertain outcome at best, picking a different colour suddenly starts looking quite appealing.

(Over here in Germany, the rule in a court of law is generally “loser pays”, so we get fewer frivolous trademarked-colour lawsuits, but they still exist. For example, we have a very large telecomms company who will come after you if they think you’re abusing their special shade of magenta.)

4 Likes

The Onion used to be so funny, but now it just looks like all the other newspapers.

7 Likes

4 Likes

Algorithm testing, programmers figured nobody would create a file with just a “1” in it.

2 Likes

I’ve literally had to go and watch over press proofs while the printer adjusted the ink to get the correct corporate color on the paper we were using. It’s an art that todays digital only designers have forgotten is possible. I mean, I’ve also had to ‘break’ a PMS color in a printing file and add 2% more cyan or whatever to get it looking right on in-house digital prints.

I’ve seen 60 page corporate catalogs that break down the exact ways to convert their color onto various types of paper. And now I want to say something about attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, but that was another job.

10 Likes

I’m going to mint NFTs for all the elements in the periodic table. I’ll keep Hydrogen for myself obviously. Then anyone who buys anything will have to pay me royalties!! Muahahahahaha! Wait, what? What do you mean it doesn’t work that way?

5 Likes

Is Anish Kapoor the head of this company?

(I’m going to use All the colors, and not pay anyone a dime!)

5 Likes

As is the idea that some techbros selling NFTs are an effective substitute for filing for a trademark or a patent.

5 Likes

A friend used to work photographing artworks professionally. The artists would complain that one color wasn’t quite right and he’d have to explain that while they were using dozens of different pigments, he was only using three. It’s simply not possible for a color photograph to perfectly reproduce all the colors, especially when viewed in different light.

5 Likes

For real prestige you need more significant figures. I want #FFFFFFFFFFFF

4 Likes

From a bit of mindless tech journalism

Samsung is also minding the details when it comes to viewing NFTs on its 2022 televisions. A smart calibration feature on the TVs will automatically adjust display settings “to the creator’s preset values, so you can have peace of mind that your work looks impeccable, with true-to-the-original image quality.” You’ve heard of things like Dolby Vision or Netflix Calibrated Mode, and now NFTs will get a similar treatment.

Bored Ape Yacht Club, now with truer colors.

4 Likes