SON OF COCKY: a writer is trying to trademark "DRAGON SLAYER" for fantasy novels

It’s criminal that it hasn’t been released in BR yet!!!

1 Like

That only works if there are books titled “Dragon Slayer” that came about as a result. But since there are plenty of recent books so titled, it’s a bit superfluous.

Oh, that just naturally comes about once they have the trademark. I mean, it may be specifically for “Dragon Slayer” but anything with “dragon” or “slayer” in the name might get confusing for people, so they’ve got to threaten legal action over those, too!

3 Likes

Krull was no Beastmaster Yor: Hunter From the Future, and was certainly no Metalstorm: The Destruction of JaredSyn.

2 Likes

People are terrible.

1 Like

And was made into a (very bad) movie.

I’ve been thinking of trademarking Slayer for heavy metal music.

3 Likes

As recovering addict, while a bit more than other miniatures games it isn’t any pricier than others as per unit/model/etc price goes just more stuff to play with for a game. And the painting is 95% technique and a bit of practice over actual skill to have a very presentable army.

And thats enough derail for now.

2 Likes

I propose a trademark for “The Dragon Eaten” live performance art starting soon at a Texas IP lawyer’s office before heading off to a small east Texas town for a long rampage.

Were the books actually any good?

I remember picking one up off the free bookshelf at church as a child, probably because it had a ninja on the cover. It opens with this guy observing two men arguing, then “throwing rocks” at each other. He then reminiscences about how his sensei taught him that dodging bullets is really the same thing as dodging thrown rocks, and they’re both easy if you’re a martial arts master, so he thinks of gunfights as “throwing rocks” now.

Even at 10 I thought that was a bit silly.

That was schadenfabulous given the cocky™ act of assuming in their name they’d have sequels. Joel Gray in that was almost as painful to watch as Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany’s.

Ple_se ce_se & des_st us_ng my p_tented s_ngle-quote m_rk _nd full stop.

4 Likes

I saw it on a ginormous screen in a 70mm print when it first came out and thought it was just awful (though the effects were stunning at that scale and print quality). Around 5 years ago I thought I’d give it another try, this time on a much smaller screen, and I still thought it was awful. Peter MacNicol is not a very good actor at the best of times, but put him next to Ralph Richardson and the contrast shatters the fourth wall and makes it impossible to suspend belief (or at least did for me).

That depends how you see it. They do in fact have a trademark and they do try to enforce it quite vociferously.

They went full trolley in 2013 when they complained to Amazon about Spots the Space Marine.

Trademark Bully Thwarted: Spots the Space Marine Back Online | Electronic Frontier Foundation

Spots the Space Marine is still available for purchase in your amazon webstore of choice. So yay, for the efforts of the EFF, et. al.

3 Likes

4 times the bonus points? Or did I miss some? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve never read any of the books, and after watching the fantabulously wretched film they put out, I’d have to agree with ten year old you: that’s just a bit silly. The concept never appealed to me, so I never bothered to check into the source material.

Is that a level-up, or does @doctorow need a mushroom for this?

1 Like

Oh, they only got better from there…

I read one once. I…I think I’m almost ready to talk about it…

Or Roddy McDowell in the TV pilot…

Oh, Disney!

https://www.cnn.com/2013/05/10/us/disney-trademark-day-dead/index.html

1 Like

I just googled “dragonslayer” but accidentally typed “Dragonslawyer,” now there’s your movie…

1 Like