Songs That Never Fail To Make White People Beyond Turnt: A Playlist

I’m here looking a the list thinking,
maybe ‘turnt’ doesn’t mean what I think it means…

5 Likes

I hated that song the first time around. But that whole subgenre of treble-heavy rock songs never worked for me.

I actually think my (African) girlfriend would like this playlist more than I would.

2 Likes

Or it was just his daughter coming in when the camera cut to black

4 Likes

avengers-thor-nope

4 Likes

I’ve got my own interpretation, and I’m sticking to it! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

Keanu Reeves Thumbs Up GIF by Lionsgate

9 Likes

…or y’know, just let people like what they like and - I dunno - don’t worry about it.

11 Likes

Which begs the question, what shade of white are you? Are you Conan O’Brian white with milky glaze of an infant Celt, or do you have some added pigment perhaps?

It’s a good list of songs to make up spoof lyrics to.

4 Likes

I’ve been compiling my own mega list of foot stompers, toe tappers, and booty shakers, as defined by me. I’m pretty damned white, but I like to think that it’s a pretty good list. Lots of talking heads, Tom Petty, Elvis Costello, plus a sprinkling of just about every other damned thing. It’s 900 songs, give or take. I’m still adding to it and pruning it. You’re welcome to take a look if you like. It’s pretty idiosyncratic, probably the only list in the world that has Kid Creole and the Coconuts, The Beat Farmers, P-Funk, and Laurie Anderson. My musical taste developed in the late 70s into the 80s, and has continued to expand since.

I listened to the list from the article and didn’t find a damned thing I wanted to add. I’ve already got a few of them, the good ones. My musician friend says that songs like Brown Eyed Girl are an extra $50 each if you want him to play them.

5 Likes

I’m so white I don’t know what turnt means. ;_;

3 Likes

Where are the Talking Heads?

6 Likes

Welcome to boingboing!

Also:

https://www.discogs.com/Talking-Heads-The-Name-Of-This-Band-Is-Talking-Heads/master/39355

The name of the album is reference to the group’s preference to not have “the” in their name and a nod to the way David Byrne would introduce songs live - just by saying the name of the song.

9 Likes

About as pasty-white as it’s possible to be (Irish on both sides of my family). I don’t tan, I ignite. Nevertheless, I actually prefer hip hop/rap to most other genres, go figure.

3 Likes

That’s what Urban Dictionary is for.

8 Likes

White People Dancing: real horror-show, my droogs.

6 Likes

Welcome aboard, comrade!

5 Likes

That’s an ‘everybody get turnt’ song; no matter what color they may be.

17 Likes

Is it 2010? Is “here’s some basic shit a lot of white people like” humor retro now? Are white people surprised by it again? Are white people upset they can’t opt out of whiteness when it inconveniences them even in the form of a playlist of popular songs? Is this oppression?
How? How did we get back here? Think everyone, or we’ll never get out of this time loop.

20 Likes

giphy|nullxnull

16 Likes