Sonic the Hedgehog movie trailer

quark-but-why

16 Likes

The loving camera-pans over his flexing legs makes that obvious, agreed. But if they wanted to court that group, the total lack of Tails as his Sancho Panza is a pretty big miss.

4 Likes

I would be very impressed if someone made a feature all in the style of and obeying the rendering limitations of a 16-bit video game cut scene.

2 Likes

I think someone just did a Google search for music that was popular around the time that the Sega Genesis had its heyday.

9 Likes

#BLESSED by the Beschizza

7 Likes

It’s still Hollywood family movie so that sort of thing has to be subtext; I think if Tails were in it, the tone of the movie would instantly turn Sonic x Tails into its blaring, unsilencable supertext.

9 Likes

i hated the smurfs live action/cgi design. making cartoony characters realistic is really hard to pull off. I think the best cases are when you just let them be cartoony. Don’t try to alter the proportions that make them who they are. The new detective pikachu works becase his shape and proportions of his body and facial features are still right., and i also think it works when you just go the pixar route and make a full cg cartoon. The more recent smurfs movie did that, and although i cant speak for the plot, at least they looked cute like Peyo’s smurfs and not like the weird cartoon/human morphs of those earlier films.

4 Likes

(obligatory link)

1 Like

it IS possible to make cartoony characters “real” without being uncanny:detective-pikachu-pokemons-e1554308013491

19 Likes

Extensive discussion of this here!

4 Likes

oh thanks i missed that!

1 Like

Really hoping this is a big smash, maybe then I’ll finally get to see that Alex Kidd in Miracle World movie I’ve always dreamed of! /s

(Actually, I thought it looked okay, apart from the Cthulhoid horror of Sonic himself. Carrey seemed promising, and poor old James M was giving it his best).

1 Like

11 Likes

From the trailer, it looks like this movie has the same conceptual flaw that the old super Mario brothers movie had: that the writers felt the need to throw the character into a real modern human world and then explain why they are there (aliens, alternate dimensions etc) rather than just show us a plot in the world of sonic with all of its weird characters and beautifully designed (in the old sega games) places.

10 Likes

Complementary media:

3 Likes

20 Likes

The movie’s IMDb trivia page, which is pretty solid all around, has my favorite peace of “trivia” ever:

According to SEGA, the Sonic the Hedgehog movie will help the character reach a world wide fame never seen before for the series.

I mean, good luck SEGA, but I think to do that, I feel you’d have to Rasta-fy him by… 10 percent or so.

2 Likes

Oh, Jim Carry is in it. They must have blown the budget on him and couldn’t hire real animators/character designers.

I mean… everything other than Sonic looks ok so far. Sonic is… I mean what the actual fuck???

Good thing I was never a big Sonic fan, or that would be just one more piece of childhood tied up and beaten.

3 Likes

The beatings will continue until the Rotten Tomatoes score improves

4 Likes

Spiny Norman will always be my hedgehog!

16 Likes