Sonic the Hedgehog movie trailer

The one thing that intrigues me about the trailer is the very, very end, which seems to show a more true-to-form Robotnik in the world of Sonic rather than the human world.

4 Likes

Fuck, I know I’m going to have to watch this because it’s destined to be a How Did This Get Made movie.

10 Likes

Getting June’s take on this movie is truly the only thing that could make this all worth it.

3 Likes

I’m not going to buy a ticket, but when it comes out on disc I’ll definitely watch it. The Neil McDonough/Jim Carrey scene seals it for me.

2 Likes

Real sonic is perfectly bad, which is to say perfect, because it being good or bad is immaterial unless you were already in hell before you even saw it.

4 Likes

And not “nuanced performance of mid-career Jim Carrey from films like Immortal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.” This looks to be “mid-90s goofball Jim Carrey,” which I guess is fitting giving the age of the source material.

7 Likes

Sounds like it has a story arc for the villain where he gets more and more bad.

Maybe at the end of the movie Sonic will transform in to his true form?

3 Likes

I think the people making the Sandman movie lost the plot…

2 Likes

Looking over the Top 100 from the year Sonic was released, it could have been worse.

Maybe they’re saving I Wanna Sex You Up, I’m Too Sexy, and I Touch Myself for the unrated director’s cut, fan service for the furries that @beschizza mentioned.

5 Likes

The writer of Detective Pikachu has a few thoughts on the subject…

12 Likes

Yeah, it looks like fun for people (like us) who don’t take silly movies too seriously.

I love silly movies and would love a silly, fun, goofy Sonic movie with characters that actually look like the characters in the Sonic games.

The issue here isn’t that it’s fun/silly, it’s that the main character looks repellant.

Beer goggles aren’t gonna make shitty-fursuit Sonic look fun.

I’d actually honestly prefer to see a greenscreened-in guy in a homemade Sonic suit and for them to make this movie for a few thousand bucks; I’d happily get drunk and watch that. But a rumored-$90 million film, that sucks.

6 Likes

Usually “want to watch drunk on Netflix in a few years” is not the goal of a creating a movie though right?

5 Likes

It’s what happens when you let a committee try to distill what’s good out recent MCU movies. Nostalgia + music referencing the time when said nostalgic item first debuted. That’s what made Guardians of the Galazy and Thor: Ragnarok work, right?

6 Likes

Excuse me, I think I speak for everybody when I say:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH
NO!!! NOOOO!!! THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELLS THEE!!!
BACK TO THE ABYSS WITH YOU, UNHOLY ABOMINATION!!!
YOU SHOULD NOT BE!

4 Likes

It’s like someone gave SNL a lot of money and an order to create a parody of the idea of a Sonic movie trailer, and their approach was to make a obscene exaggeration of those kinds of movies, of that specific vintage.

Not just the characters, there’s just nothing real about this trailer - every aspect of it falls into the uncanny valley. There was no version of this movie that wasn’t going to be wrong, but they managed to be wrong in every aspect.

4 Likes

It’s always interesting, when you have a hit movie, to see the soulless, would-be imitators, because it gives you a window into the relevant film executives’ minds. For me it always leads to the question: “Really guys, that’s what you got out of the (previous) movie?” Plus the realization that a lot of the guys who are in positions of power in film studios really are idiots.

2 Likes

I’m going to need a bigger bong.

10 Likes

He’s even got them in the nostrils! Now that is some attention to detail that I can approve of :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Or if they were going for a popular but tonally-mismatched 1990s hit they could have used Cake’s The Distance. At least the lyrics would make more sense.

13 Likes