Sonic the Hedgehog movie trailer

Sometimes it doesn’t take much for an earworm to take root. [Shakes fists at the sky]

5 Likes

OK, but who would win in a fight? This creepy version of Sonic, or the original mega-creepy sports mascot? I think we know the winner would be:

https://cdn.jalebymedia.com/12news/Philadelphia-Flyers-Get-New-Mascot-And-Twitter-Users-Say-What-The-Puck.jpeg

3 Likes

Some people REALLY took the trailer personally.

2 Likes

Holy hell, this is appalling and hideous and i want to kill it with fire.

3 Likes

But let’s be fair: what the hell would that even be? It was basically a blue sprite standing in for Mario that ran around collecting “rings” instead of “stars”. And from what I can tell every sequel was vociferously hated by the fans.

(Goes and hides behind a rock.)

Well, you’ve got to admit it is not nearly as frighening as that last Cat in the Hat. Also, no. Just no.

5 Likes

As someone pretty well into Furry Mastodon: no, nobody likes it.

5 Likes

I learned this the hard way trying to watch Batman vs Superman: Electric Blue Murdercycle while schlitzed. Sometimes when a work is truly repugnant, ugly really deep down, beer just makes it worse.

1 Like

Having never really played this game and after seeing the Serious Sonic Lore Analysis thanks @Ashen_Victor I think they hit the nail right on the head. I’d like to see this in theaters.

1 Like

I’ve been appreciating all of the artists drawing and painting over stills of the movie to see how Sonic’s crappy design could be tweaked in subtle or not-so-subtle ways to bring more of the original character in. This paint-over, by animator @ AimeeUeda , is the best I’ve seen so far, fixing the problems with his mouth, fur color, muzzle, and eyes while keeping him ‘realistic’ looking. This Sonic looks appealing and reminds me of the original in the best ways.

9 Likes

Yes, that top one is literally 1000x better.

I mean there was push back like this with the original Battle Angel Alita, and I think they succeeded in tweaking the design. Is Sonic too far done to tweak and re-render the model?

3 Likes

I think Sonic is too far “nobody involved gives a $#!7.”

4 Likes

5 Likes

7 Likes

By my estimation this movie is actually from 1994.

3 Likes

Because they must summon the Elder God of videogame movies to destroy the world.

4 Likes

Those improvements are a good start but I’d also bring back the gloves. Something about those bleached-white hands with human palms and fingernails is just… ick.

If he can wear Nikes then he can wear some damn gloves.

6 Likes

Absolutely. Sonic’s never had clothes on, but it’s kind of fascinating how removing his big gloves changes him into “fuzzy naked blue guy with bleached little-boy hands, wearing only shoes”.

5 Likes

I didn’t even consciously realize just how fucked up the movie design was until I saw these side-by-side. holy cow.

5 Likes