Sony to Twitter and media outlets: stop spreading hacked/leaked email contents

If there’s no censoring involved, then it’s not a First Amendment or free speech issue. You seem to be upset that I’m focusing on the First Amendment, but my complaint was that I don’t see this as a First Amendment or free speech issue in a way that The Fappening was not.

Yes, the Sony leaks raise legitimate concerns with the way lobbying works, political corruption, online threats and bullying, corporations behaving badly, and more, but I don’t think that free speech and the First Amendment is a big one—and if it is, I think it’s a much more nuanced conversation than its being presented as.

Trevor Timm

After threatening news organizations and Twitter, who's doing more harm to free speech: Sony or North Korea?

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
Last I checked Sony is not a government and has every right to not want private/stolen data be made public

A corporation with economical clout of a smaller country does not need any extra protection. If they can’t secure their networks, it’s their problem, they can afford the means. And We the People should have at least an occasional chance to see unvarnished, unpolished version of internal dealings of such big powerful subjects.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.