Sorry kids, there's a Santa shortage

Originally published at: Sorry kids, there's a Santa shortage | Boing Boing

2 Likes

There’s still plenty of Satan to go around.

6 Likes

COVID-19 disproportionately killed older folks and people with higher BMIs.

Whoever heard of a skinny Santa?

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/0e60f04d-aed3-42f1-9b8c-928fb34d9a90

1 Like

Here’s the solution: Mrs Santa

5 Likes

Can’t wait to hear conservatives blame “woke” gens y & z for not alot of old guys wanting to work as mall santas.

5 Likes

Is someone at BB channeling The Marx Brothers?

It is Santa CLAUS, not Clause!

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 14.26.46

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 14.26.19
(The sanity clause is right at the very end of this wonderful scene.)

11 Likes

It’s the perfect opportunity for them to fold in their “war on the glorious Protestant work ethic” rhetoric of the past couple of months into their seasonal “war on Christmas” whinging.

2 Likes

The most vulnerable targets for Covid spending hours setting the most likely carriers for Covid on their laps? I’d demand more money, too. This is a high risk job.

7 Likes

Have they checked the North Pole, I’ve heard that’s where they hang out.

5 Likes

So they were right about “The War on Christmas”?

1 Like

zoom with virtual santa!

Santa: tell me more about your interest in Lego [pause] Timmy

3 Likes

a restaurant I worked at had the accountant and her husband (an old biker dude that sometimes helped with security on large events) play Santa and Mrs Claus every Christmas, and the husband worked that gig several other places per holiday season. Because of his “in” with our restaurant, the owner let him use the upstairs event facility to host the local Santa industry networking event.

myself and several coworkers spent some of our downtime in the service area gawking at a huge roomful of a couple hundred old potbellied white guys with long white beards but in normal street clothes sprawled wall-to-wall. it was kinda like the scene in Being John Malkovitch where the whole room of people were made to look like Malkovitch; just a really odd scene.

I made the quip “whose lap do I have to sit on to get a present around here!” to great effect.

6 Likes

I had an acquaintance who played Santa in his community every year.

Unfortunately, he passed away of COVID last year, right after New Year’s.

I imagine that this happened to a lot of people last year…

4 Likes

I was a Santa too (pre COVID), albeit at a Petco for Santa pet pictures, and as a Santa for a library event. It was interesting to learn all the non-verbal cues that went on between Santa and their parents as Santa coaxed the wish list from the child.

3 Likes

Also, that particular description has more options these days “Santa” is just one option alongside “Bartender at craft brewery”, “Expensive barber”, and “Artisan bakery owner”

3 Likes

Looks like I’m going to be Santa (or Father Christmas as some people have it around here) at a Christmas parade. My costume arrived a few days ago. It’s pretty good, and I’m impressed with it. I might also wear it to the Carol Concert - I’m in the Choir, and the Choirmistress generally wants us to “dress christmassy” (i.e. Awful Christmas Jumpers). The costume arrived with a false white beard, of course. My own white beard is longer… Not that I’m smug about it, or anything. :wink:

10 Likes
5 Likes

Was waiting to see if anyone would. :wink:

3 Likes

They need to form a union. The Guild of Jolly Old Elf’s. GOJOE.

4 Likes

Is knowing about this union half the battle?

2 Likes