Soul-crushing office-speak spreads

Obligatory:

8 Likes

I know, right? The guy who runs the Creation Museum is an idiot theologian. Dawkins is an asshole theologian. Totally different thing.

5 Likes

You kiss your mother with that mouth?

1 Like

I read that a lot of management (and academic) jargon stems from the influx of researchers with non-English backgrounds during and after WW2. Specifically German ones.

This is evident by them bringing germanic language structure into their research - which has then spread into the corporate world via management literature, according to the pamphlet.

Don’t remember the title exactly but it was a primer on proper English for researchers, and it had a bone to pick with soul crushing academic jargon.

Obligatory.

7 Likes

http://rodbenson.com/2010/03/13/outcomes-by-michael-leunig/

Some of them already exist outside of the business world, and were often stolen from military parlance in the first place. Scope creep is just a refinement of mission creep, for example. Or quagmire as a metaphor. It’s no secret that managers like to use military jargon to sound more martial, more gung-ho.

1 Like

Hmm, I always interpreted “ping” in a verb sense as like a movies sonar ping: a signal was sent in the hopes it would be reflected. Sort of like how a POSIX ping is about the reflection, not actual communication. So to me saying you pinged someone is shorthand for saying you sent a message, the content isn’t important, as its only purpose was to generate a response - echolocation. I was not aware that it had drifted into meaning “a quick back and forth” (which is what I gather it has done from your post).

2 Likes

Also wenn der Versachlichung von Zeitworte in andere Sprachen möglich ist, darf ich jetzt sagen dass die eine literarische Eigenart namens VerwandlungsfÀhigkeiten?

I hope that answers your question a little.

She just clipped the adverb “legitimately” and kept “Language nerd” as a noun. “Verb” has been in use as a verb for almost a century, so “adverbing” would seem to be a logical extension of this and not particularly daring.

1 Like

Typical IM exchange between me & a former cow-orker:

me: SYN
Lou: SYN ACK
me: ENQ lunch?
Lou: NAK
me: EOT

5 Likes

FBI Director James Comey does his part (in the last sentence):

“All of us do that as human beings. You see something that seems wierd to you, and the hair stands up on the back of your neck, and you write some narrative like, I must have misunderstood, he must just be having a difficult day, I probably didn’t hear that right. Our ask of our fellow citizens is, don’t do that.”

Shaka, when the walls fell.

1 Like

This isn’t another Frankfurt school dogwhistle, is it? :wink:

2 Likes

Honestly that might be the original sense, in which case it makes more sense. I come from a networking background, and it DOES mean ‘back and forth communication’. It’s nitpicky, I know. The radar origin makes it make WAY more sense.

It might be domain specific language, but I sometimes find it difficult when some general purpose words are removed from the vocabulary. A few weeks ago someone walked over to a co-worker to discuss a problem he found in a newly deployed internal software project. He started to say “I’ve found a probl
” and then stopped himself as the word “problem” is discouraged. He tried to get back on track with “We have an opportunity to” and then couldn’t figure how to make that work and finally decided to fall back on “we have a challenge with the product you just deployed.”

I turned around and said that although I know that problems don’t exist in the corporate world, I never got my dictionary and don’t know which kind of problems are supposed to be opportunities and which kind are supposed to be challenges.

2 Likes

“Gentlemen, if immediate action is not taken, we will find ourselves faced with an insurmountable opportunity.”

4 Likes

Cadence is important for synchronicity.

2 Likes

It’s like this entire message board is being infiltrated by radical communists or something

2 Likes

Yeah, no
 corporations have their own lingo and dialect that isn’t necessarily from academia. There is certainly overlap, but the fields your critiquing, there is much less. If business got language from academia, it more likely than not came from the sciences, where there is far more interactions than from the humanities.