Soul Plane actor sues airlines after his pinky gets stuck in an armrest hole

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/13/soul-plane-actor-sues-airlines.html

1 Like

"The spring mechanism embedded inside of this hole in the armrest applied intense pressure to plaintiff’s finger, immediately inflicting injury, swelling and pain."

There’s a song in that story, somewheres.

9 Likes

7 Likes

I hope he at least gets airlines to fix the issue. Imagine having to evacuate the aircraft in an emergency only to encounter the same problem.

2 Likes

This guy comes across as a twit, pretty much, but this damn well shouldn’t have happened at all, as well. I’m guessing the airline settles posthaste, if they’re smart.

Well, of course there is! To the tune of “There’s a hole in the bottom of the sea”:

There’s a hole in the armrest on the plane,
There’s a hole in the armrest on the plane.

(Chorus:)
There’s a hole,
There’s a hole,
There’s a hole in the armrest on the plane.

(Next verses:)
There’s a spring in the hole in the armrest on the plane…

There’s a pinky that got stuck by the spring in the hole in the armrest on the plane…

There’s pressure on the pinky that got stuck by the spring in the hole in the armrest on the plane…

There’s intense pain due to pressure on the pinky that got stuck by the spring in the hole in the armrest on the plane…

You get the idea. Sing it with your kids on your next long flight!

6 Likes

Emotional distress. Over a swollen pinky. For the love of fuck.

3 Likes

Roller derby name!

7 Likes

Now y’all make your little jokes and stuff about this, but men can die from wounds like that!

3 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking.

I’m sure it was a terrible experience and by all means, seek restitution for the pinky, but don’t expect us to buy that it was embarrassing to the point of emotional distress. This is the kind of claim that gives injury lawsuits a bad name and leads people to think people are just out for a payday and not simply to be made whole. The other thing to keep in mind is that this is a man bites dog story. If this has happened more than once in the history of the aircraft, I’d be shocked. It’s simply not a perfect world, and asking for any more than simply fixing his pinky (which I only think they should be liable for if they had any statistically reasonable suspicion this sort of thing would ever happen, but I hope they’ll do it just to be nice) is like shoplifting- it just makes the world more expensive for everyone else.

I’m sympathetic to the pain suffered, but humiliating public spectacle? Puh-Lease. It’s only humiliating if he did something stupid, which he must not have because he seems pretty convinced it was the airlines’ fault.

1 Like

Nearly an hour! The ignominy!

1 Like

So, Mr. Keys, how exactly did your pinky come to be in the hole in the first place?
Um, well, I, um, pushed it in there.

1 Like

It’s like sticking beans up your nose, and when they get stuck, suing Del Monte.

3 Likes

Odd, finger traps are something I’d normally associate with a Chinese airline.

4 Likes

I wonder if this was that hole with the detent you can press to raise the aisle-side armrest.

2 Likes

Oh there’s a good idea. That’s why you are richer than me (I hope that’s true!). “It was the bean. It was just there, crying out to squeeze into my nose. I was so surprised when it got stuck in there that I had to try another. I’ll admit trying the third one was maybe a bit rash.”

1 Like

I’m surprised by all the snark from boing-ers
on this guy’s legitimate claim .
Flying can be hell people abused dragged down and dehumanized .
His pinky got locked into his chair, yes it ridiculous yet seem plausible from reports

Well - at least he got new material for his act.

2 Likes

Was this in coach or first class?

I’m surprised by all the snark from boing-ers

And I thought emotional distress from a pinky injury seemed implausible.