Soul singer Charles Bradley's emotional cover of Black Sabbath's "Changes"

Originally published at: Soul singer Charles Bradley's emotional cover of Black Sabbath's "Changes" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

This must be the cover they use in the intro to Big Mouth.

7 Likes

Yeah it is. It’s a really great version

2 Likes

Dang, that was righteous!

Fire Love GIF

8 Likes

some serious James Brown vibes happening here. that was amazing.

8 Likes

That song: The story of everyone’s life.

7 Likes

He actually was a James Brown impersonator for part of his career.

7 Likes

Yep, that’s definitely a soul song, alright. At least the way he sings it, it is. This is a classic example of transforming and elevating a pop song through its performance, I must say.

4 Likes

The original version is pretty much a soul song how Ozzy sings it, weirdly enough.

5 Likes

Ozzy is underrated.

5 Likes

Of all the things white folks could appropriate from Black folks, breakups and death are two things that are universal and bluesworthy.

5 Likes

I never thought too hard about the cover from the show but knowing the story behind it really gives it extra meaning for me

4 Likes

It was a real good day when I discovered Daptone Records. Charles Bradley, Budos Band, Sharon Jones, Lee Fields, Naomi Shelton, Antibalas – all have filled some good nights. Since I think she’s probably the least well-known of the group I’ll post this one filmed behind Daptone studio in 2009:

3 Likes

remember when Dylan said that Hendrix’s version of Watchtower is now the canonical version of the song?

yeah, it’s like that.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.