Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell, RIP

Reading through this atm, good stuff:

1 Like

I don’t take anxiety medication though i have often wanted to. The side effects is the #1 thing that puts me off to it. That’s why recreational pot and microdosing seem more appealing to me.

If the medication somehow played a role in Chris taking his life that would make a bit more sense. I’ve been pondering on why he’d done such a thing.

1 Like

I was very surprised yesterday at how much his passing affected me.There’s been other artists and public figures that i had much more of an attachment to pass away in the last few years and i was a bit bummed, but Chris Cornell’s suicide has really hit me hard.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know why. I guess it’s that feeling of a large part of who you were growing up suddenly lost, no warning… It might be part of growing older, too - I remember not taking Kurt Cobains suicide nearly as badly, not that I was a huge Nirvana fan, but I certainly listened to them.

2 Likes

Same. I keep thinking about bits from his WTF interview from a few years ago, it’s really worth listening to: wtfpod.com/podcast/repost-chris-cornell-from-june-2014

His work (his voice!) was very much of a time & place for me, but it was also still a part of my regular listening for 20+ years. I can’t say that about other acts that emerged from that scene - maybe Mark Lanegan?

4 Likes

Welcome to the world of psychopharmacology. A drug will help (or not harm) 999 out of 1000 people, but that one person…

And then if you are that one person, you get told dismissively “this is a rare side effect, you don’t have this”, and it’s implied that you’re crazy, a drug addict, or both :rage:

2 Likes

When I had a rare psychological side effect to one medication, I was ignored. When I had a rare physically observable side effect to another I was sent to the ER. Intrusive suicidal thoughts are far more dangerous than rashes, but the latter was treated considerably more seriously (to the credit of the doctors, the “rash” in question was a potential precursor to a nightmarish syndrome where all of your skin becomes a blister an then pops leaving you with effectively third degree burns covering 100% of your body, so, you know, it was at least potentially super serious).

7 Likes

And here i am begrudgingly taking advil when i have a headache. I’m super paranoid with medications. Glad you’re ok after all of that.

1 Like

It just hit me, I found out yesterday at work. Listened to Euphoria Morning. Too many things going on right now, it was in my brain all through the day. I was sad, I recognize that, but I couldn’t really deal with it, I didn’t even tell the wife, it’s not like she was a fan, it’s not like I really wanted to think about it.
I finished work today, finally it’s the weekend, saw a couple of tribute videos, stone sour played Outshined, then I watched Dave Mustaine do the same song. And I lost it. I cried.
Chris Cornell is one of the est rock singers ever. Soundgarden is one of my favorite bands ever. I grew up listening to them and all the other “grunge” bands int he 90’s, so many people killed themselves, in loud and quiet ways, and right now it feels like whatever darkness gripped us as humans in that time is still with us.
I am personally OK, I got my family and my health, and I got so much to live for, and at the same time I’m not OK, maybe it’s not Chris’s passing that’s got me down (It’s alright if I call him Chris right? we never met but I think of him as a mentor if not a friend), maybe it’s just life feels so… I can’t finish that thought right now.

I think I’ll go play my guitar right now for a bit, maybe we’ll do Karaoke, I probably blow my voice out tonight, that’s OK, it’s been a while.
:crying_cat_face:

6 Likes

The bond track was a really pleasant surprise!

1 Like

Yep. Chris Cornell, and later Adele, have shown the world what proper modern Bond themes are.

4 Likes

If only the movies would grow up to match…

2 Likes

I was prescribed anxiety medication many years ago; after two weeks I was in the worst shape of my life, not wanting to leave the house, writing goodbye notes, etc. I called the doctor and they said oh yeah, suicidal depression is a known side effect, you should probably stop taking it if you’re suicidally depressed. I haven’t even tried taking any medication like that since that time. Terrifying stuff.

4 Likes

It seems insane to me that a medication meant to help people manage their mental wellbeing has the side effect of suicidal thoughts. That seems 100% unacceptable to me

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.