South Dakota lawmaker blocks workplace protection for pregnant workers: "It's not prison. You can quit."

It’s an anti-“statist” catchphrase. All laws are “men with guns” unless it’s a proper deregulated ancaptopia.

9 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PucO0w-HU70

1 Like

Perhaps we’ll get a reply when they come back? They seem quite willing to engage…

I have questions.

3 Likes

I want to give this comment a bigger heart than is accommodated here.
And I would like a stool and a glass of water, please.
And non-taxed feminine hygiene products.

12 Likes

Not yet banned.

17 Likes

To bring that all the way around: the US isn’t a prison, and our country is just a contract between many free people. Don’t like what our laws require you to do? You are absolutely free to move to another country with more favorable laws, or to try to negotiate with the government.

What’s that? Moving is a long and difficult process and there is no guarantee any country would let you in? And you have no leverage as just one business against an entire nation? Now you know how the rest of us feel.

20 Likes

Yes! But somehow they managed to pass laws banning smoking in the workplace. I’d love to hear the logic describing why that was a moral imperative (after all, if you feel smoking harms you, you could just quit*), but providing basics for pregnant ladies is government overreach.

• I’m familiar with the bystander argument - I need to go to the supermarket/doctor’s office, etc., and don’t want to breath 2nd hand smoke. I’m thinking about bars and the like, where it really is a choice to go or not, but smoking is banned. I’m not advocating smoking in bars, just pointing out the lack of consistency of political argument and resulting policies.
6 Likes

I literally cannot imagine the process of escalation by which this particular law would be enforced at the point of a gun.

It is like the worst possible example of this poster’s pet world view.

Frankly, when you have REAL people at airports around the country facing REAL officers with REAL guns pointing at them, it is in extremely poor taste.

11 Likes

Anarchists should never put themselves in positions of power over other people. It’s fundamental to the ideology. An = no, archy = rulers. That includes bosses.

That’s why I call “an-caps” fake anarchists. Who appointed them as bosses anyway? I bet that it wasn’t the workers.

17 Likes

It isn’t a choice for the staff that work there. It is their job. That was the basis of the ban in my home state.

9 Likes

Probably doesn’t want to provide accommodations in the businesses he’s involved with, namely: Vice President of Amesbury Hardware Products at Amesbury Group, Inc. Also, General Manager of BSI-Balance Systems.

1 Like

Yep. That comment was originally from Kim Stanley Robinson, regarding libertarians, and I find it… illustrative of the hypocrisy at the heart of those types of libertarians.

9 Likes

Lord Humongous agrees.

7 Likes

Well said. A surprisingly ‘hard-SF’ webcomic I read also said it thusly:

Freefall
Political? Sure, but it’s a coincidence in a story that’s been being told over years.
(That’s not to take from your version, it just made me go ‘aha!’I’m just a webcomics geek.)

10 Likes

Well, they should just quit, and go work in a non smoking bar, something, something, bootstraps whaagarble.

7 Likes

7 Likes

There are more than enough smokers to staff all the bars in America.

It’s especially odd when the bartender is out in the alley taking his smoke break with all the other smokers.

I think smoking is stupid, but I wouldn’t have passed that particular law. It might not be a great analogy to other things.

Requiring people to not work in a toxic environment (or quit) as a condition of employment is dumb?

So you’re all for poisoning coal miners with blacklung too?

12 Likes

I said smoking was dumb, not that the law was dumb.

The law is debatable.

The argument would be different if there was a large population of potential miners who were already giving themselves blacklung recreationally, even after you tell them to please stop.

What’s that have to do with the bar waitress that just needed waistressing job though? One has to assume that any one person is not consenting to such exposure, regardless of what a bunch of them do in their free time.

11 Likes