South London school bans "slang"

More than one (I missed at least one whole word in there) but in the spirit of the thing, I’ll let them rest. :smiley:

4 Likes

Weirdly enough, dench means cool, inni’, yeah?

1 Like

I assume the complaint against “Like” is the sort of usage America associates with California “Valley Girl” culture, where it is used as a verbal space filler when pausing or uncertain of what to say next, akin to “um” and “er” and “uh”.

As I understand it, in the UK “Bare” is used to mean “a lot of”, “a significant amount of”, or “significantly”. Instead of “That’s a load of shite!” you might say “That’s bare shite!”.

Extra I’m not familiar with beyond it’s normal usage, and I’m having trouble finding information on it’s other possible usages.

3 Likes

That’s EXACTLY the kind of woolly-minded, Lefty thinking that is corrupting Our Nation’s Youth! Hoodies will knifecrime pensioners! PRECIOUS FLUIDS will be sapped! Letters in green ink to the editor of the Telegraph will go unread! THEN WHAT, EH?!?!

10 Likes

3 Likes

Didn’t this tickle anyone else?

Pupils heard using “informal language” will be asked to “reflect” on
it.

7 Likes

good luck with dat.

1 Like

Interesting. In that case, wouldn’t it simply be that she is being referenced as a symbol of the quality of “coolness”?

Kind of like “Bogarting” being a reference to Humphrey Bogart’s tendency to keep an unsmoked cigarette in the corner of his mouth, or “Pulling a Brando” being a reference to Marlon Brando allegedly showing up for the film Apocalypse Now completely unprepared for the role? Dame Dench is known for her characteristic “coolness”, and if she’s popular with the UK youth, I can easily see her name being invoked as a symbol of cool behavior.

1 Like

Sounds a bit like rubbing a dog’s nose in what it left on the carpet. “FEEL ASHAAAAAAMED, YOU WANKER. Oh wait, uh, FEEL ASHAMED YOU REPROBAAAATE.”

2 Likes

Maybe they shouldn’t have left school before they were graduated. Bloody dropouts.

4 Likes

I admire deft users of ‘like’. By filling interstitial gaps with it, you create an effective prohibition against others interjecting their own speech into your discourse. I achieve the same effect by deploying if, and, while and because.

Most people do just sit back bug-eyed doing nothing about the problem. It’s a real wheat/chaff ting, yeah? Well dench.

3 Likes

Basically, there’s going to be a lot of reflecting, I wonder if they have the space for it, yeah.

3 Likes

And when was the last time their dictionaries were updated? I doubt that they are all running about speaking Middle English, a la Chaucer. Language evolution fail.

2 Likes

privileged British people look down on people who talk “poor” – using words like “woz” and “ain’t” – and that the inability to code-switch into rich-person’s English makes it harder to get a job

…and without those language markers, a privileged-class job interviewer would have NO WAY of detecting that a job applicant is Not One of Us. Yeah, right.

5 Likes

Yeah, right?

Check it - this article is on point -

Dench was coined in 2012 by British rap artist Lethal Bizzle. Bizzle started saying the word when playing the video football game FIFA with professional footballer Emmanuel Frimpong. Together they made exclamations like “what a Dench goal” and then began saying the word on Twitter, Facebook and other social media. The expression took off and after someone printed it on a T-shirt, Bizzle and Frimpong launched a clothing brand at popular request, producing tops, baseball caps etc with captions such as “stay Dench”. The brand was an immediate success but sales rocketed when actress Judi Dench’s positive reaction was widely publicized, throwing the word itself into the media spotlight.
Welcome to Macmillan Education Customer Support

3 Likes

Hilarious.

I may prefer the “likes” over the “ahhhs” (or “ums”) that politicians are so fond of using; case in point, Obama. Drives me absolutely bonkers. It would almost be better if they uttered the word “period” after sentences or “stop”.

4 Likes

No more ending sentences with “yeah”? The Kool-Aid Man won’t be happy with this.

5 Likes

Or just stuck their fingers in their ears and repeated a percussive sound like “d-d-d-d-d-d” until the next sentence came to mind.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with an educational institution attempting to teach formal speech, and using a method of requiring the use of that speech for communication while on campus?

For chavs, this is learning a new language. When one takes Spanish or French, typically once enough of that language is conveyed for the students to understand commands in the language itself, the class switches entirely to that language for all instruction, as it forms an immersive environment to reinforce language education. Students learn the new language while applying the language, as experience is the most practical way to make the language lessons hold fast.

How one speaks is very important, as it’s the single biggest indicator of intelligence to a listener, and is a major component of someone’s initial impression of another, and since a poor first impression may be the only impression, it’s important to strive to be the best that one possibly can be.

7 Likes

This is proof positive the UK hates the American South. You don’t just end a sentence with Yeah…hell it’s the whole sentence most of the time. And basically is the new modern day equivalent of “so” and “like”.

Of course I will say when I first started watching Misfits, Kelly’s chav accent was kind of hard for me to follow sometimes…ironically it is also dead sexy, yeah.

2 Likes