Soylent bars recalled amid gastrointestinal mayhem

Nah. We’re the kind of people who live in a center city neighborhood with great restaurants.

1 Like

I have two weeks hurricane/emergency supplies. Beyond that, we’re luckier than other areas of the country. We have these guys around for hundreds of years.

1 Like

I have to admit that as a kid, I wanted a food pill. Cooking, eating, even shopping, hell, all this stuff seriously depleted perfectly good play time. Food pills would take care of that when I grew up!

5 Likes

5 Likes

Move to somewhere self sufficient and not too populated. Parts of Ireland and Portugal might be a start. Or, failing that, get a good set of burglary tools and prepare to be one of the sensible people who, the moment disaster strikes, will head for the nearest large supermarket.

2 Likes

Plain old meal replacement shake is 1/3 the price. Organic chi chi one is 1/2.

I’m not sure what those are, but I would be surprised to learn that they have the equivalent nutritional value of soylent, especially since one meal of soylent is roughly $2.50.

2 Likes

They’re going to give the rest of the recalled bars to Chipotle where they will be repackaged and no one will notice

2 Likes

I’ll echo @ben_ehlers and @davide405 here just to add another voice to the “pro” camp. My wife and I started getting the powder about a year and a half ago, soon after our baby was born, and I can’t imagine having done the first year without the powder to fill in when we were exhausted and hungry all the time. I was surprised that my wife was down actually, as she is a pretty hardcore food person, but she only really likes dinner foods. She’ll spend 1-2 hours on a dinner, but can’t really be bothered with breakfast and lunch, especially since the baby came.

I normally do mornings and late afternoons Soylent powder at work, with a turkey sandwich or leftovers in between, then we do a big dinner. It’s super convenient to just keep a bag and a shaker bottle at work. My wife and I are both pretty hangry people, and I think a quick half glass while we brainstorm dinners on busy days has actually avoided a double murder suicide on a couple of occasions. I actually was really liking the bars as a late night snack as they are easier on my tiny bladder. I hope they sort this out.

I’m sure medical professionals wouldn’t recommend subsisting on cheerios either, but wouldn’t object to them making up a regular part of your day. Soylent, to me, is a little like you threw cheerios in a blender with lipids and protein…(as appetizing as that sounds)

4 Likes

Gastrointestinal Mayhem: Worst. Concert. Ever.

10 Likes

I don’t know… how can you call it humorless? They named it soylent for god’s sake!

5 Likes

Well they used to make this stuff https://www.kshs.org/kansapedia/cool-things-civil-defense-food-kit/10155

The meal replacement shakes I’ve seen have been pretty sugar heavy and could only be considered a meal replacement if you were on severe calorie restriction. The soylent drink has a pretty good macro profile.

2 Likes

I for one am holding out for ironic meal-replacement slime and snack bars that are nothing less than side-splittlingly hilarious.

1 Like

Count me in to the Baffled Club as well. Regarding the bars, I’ve had no issues at all – must be a problem with a small batch.

1 Like

Spain. The Spanish deli next to me does a salcichon that is capable of lasting years and is basically the pork version of crack, it is so delicious.
(actually, it would stand no chance in a survival kit, because I’d already have eaten it, but if I had more self-control, it would certainly improve any putative disastrous mealtimes immeasurably)

5 Likes

Because these gastrointestinal disruptors are the very epitome of humourlessness. Think Silicon Valley douchebag meets skinny jeans hipster.

You don’t like your Soylent? Chabuduo.

6 Likes

The power of lard!

8 Likes

I’m going to loop back around in 18 min to like this…

2 Likes

What, no link for those unaware of the power of Lard?! :wink:

5 Likes