Soylent's new liquid form is “spermy,” and the guy behind it is a little creepy

Soylent 2.0 just came out - this essay is probably provocative on purpose and definitely selling the product, even if it’s not a hard sell.

2 Likes

If you are going to post key plot points from Silicon Valley S03, can we at least get a spoiler alert?

7 Likes

He may have given up on AC personally, but you can be sure that soylent is manufactured using AC.

3 Likes

Ha ha, sperm is icky!

3 Likes
While some were occupied with this latter duty, others were employed in dragging away the larger tubs, so soon as filled with the sperm; and when the proper time arrived, this same sperm was carefully manipulated ere going to the try-works, of which anon.

It had cooled and crystallized to such a degree, that when, with
several others, I sat down before a large Constantine’s bath of it, I
found it strangely concreted into lumps, here and there rolling about in
the liquid part. It was our business to squeeze these lumps back into
fluid. A sweet and unctuous duty! No wonder that in old times sperm was
such a favorite cosmetic. Such a clearer! such a sweetener! such a
softener; such a delicious mollifier! After having my hands in it for
only a few minutes, my fingers felt like eels, and began, as it were, to
serpentine and spiralize.

As I sat there at my ease, cross-legged on the deck; after the bitter
exertion at the windlass; under a blue tranquil sky; the ship under
indolent sail, and gliding so serenely along; as I bathed my hands among
those soft, gentle globules of infiltrated tissues, wove almost within
the hour; as they richly broke to my fingers, and discharged all their
opulence, like fully ripe grapes their wine; as. I snuffed up that
uncontaminated aroma,- literally and truly, like the smell of spring
violets; I declare to you, that for the time I lived as in a musky
meadow; I forgot all about our horrible oath; in that inexpressible
sperm, I washed my hands and my heart of it; I almost began to credit
the old Paracelsan superstition that sperm is of rare virtue in allaying
the heat of anger; while bathing in that bath, I felt divinely free
from all ill-will, or petulance, or malice, of any sort whatsoever.

After @timothy_krause, quoting Melville.

6 Likes

That would be an excellent point if the derision was actually aimed at that, but it’s buckshot derision aimed at a million different targets, virtually all of them imaginary.

Rob’s definitely an interesting guy.

Just like you genuinely feel disgusted by people’s reactions to his post… well, those people genuinely feel disgusted by his post. While he may be interesting, it doesn’t mean the post isn’t full of dumb shit that pissed people off.

What dumb shit? All of it. He doesn’t use energy to cook at home but consumes Soylent and food prepared for him elsewhere, so energy is still being used (and carbon emitted) to do so. Oh wait-- he does use energy at home to make tea, but that’s OK 'cause fire is pretty.

My outrage at his self righteousness is sincere. I would guess other people’s outrage is sincere as well.

5 Likes

We need a serious outrage conservation initiative.

3 Likes

Modern ouroboros.

1 Like

I don’t really get the magnet thing but the rest of what he’s talking about sounds more intriguing than creepy to me. There is a modernist, super-clean-lines part of me that would get a kick out a kitchen area that was so minimal that it wasn’t a kitchen anymore. And the canister stove! It’s like camping everyday. But he should get away from the steel encased butane and go for a dead simple alcohol stove like a super cat

5 Likes

You know, you totally had me up until…

I mean, you see the irony? No one who posted here asked anything of you either, Rindan.

8 Likes

I was wondering the same thing. I have stockpiles of dry goods for the exact same reason.

1 Like

Not really. Some engineers eat to live and take little pleasure from it, choosing to retire early rather than put money into fancy meals and booze. If they can minmax their intake, all the better.

5 Likes

Who cares what other people eat.

Who cares how other people consume energy.

Hack your food.

Hack your lifestyle.

Drink weird stuff.

Cook good food.

Post strange thoughts.

Mind your business.

7 Likes

He should charge $1,495 for a bundle of them, then reduce the price by 98%. Then I’d be cool with it.

Also, I thought happy mutants were into cyberpunk body modification? What’s with the scorn? I think it’s silly, but I don’t like tattoos, and I keep my mouth shut about it, because that makes me look square.

3 Likes

Every roadtest of Solyent I have read or heard on a podcast says that it makes you Clear-The-Room farty. And you have a desperate craving for “real” food, and so you are generally miserable.

1 Like

I am a panoply of rotting ingredients.

One day I may be soylent too.

6 Likes

Attach punching bag to dynamo…

http://smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2334#comic

1 Like

Santorumy.

3 Likes

“I think it was a bit presumptuous for the architect to assume I wanted a kitchen with my apartment and make me pay for it.” - Rob “Crazy-eyes” Rhinehart

1 Like