Spaaaaace (Part 1)

the headline makes it sound like he survived an assassination attempt

Well, he was extremely lucky a couple of times… which was due to, I think, a combination of thinking for himself, a certain stubbornness, not being an asshole, and, yes, luck.

was somebody trying to kill him, or is it clickbait for “he had a dangerous job”

1 Like

The most important consideration is the psych eval. I hope that we have the technology to provide comfort rooms to those who inevitably fail.

Also-- space baboons. Those suckers are dangerous.

1 Like

When amateur astronomer Gennady Borisov spotted the new object on August 30

Something of a badass for an amateur in an era of spy-grade equipment, where spotting comets is probably a byproduct of their real job of spotting satellites.

To find 2I/Borisov, he used a new homemade 25.5-inch (0.65-meter) reflector telescope with an extremely short focal length that yields a huge field of view of 120 arc minutes — large enough to see four full moons, side by side.

2 Likes

What’s the scoop with Mars InSight’s mired mole? It’s digging again, thanks to trowel trickery

1 Like
1 Like

5 Likes
2 Likes

Neat!
(This pretty close to what I’d paint. If I could paint.)

1 Like
3 Likes

Astroboffins rethink black hole theory after spotting tiny example with its own star buddy

1 Like
3 Likes

One man’s mistake, missing backups and complete reboot: The tale of Europe’s Galileo satellites going dark

1 Like

‘That roar is terrific… look at that rocket go!’ It’s been 52 years since first Saturn V left the pad

2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes
1 Like