Spaaaaace

Embedded in the clasts were tiny grains of rock made from stars that died before the Sun ever existed. “[The chemical makeup of] the primitive clasts compared to bulk Ryugu suggest that the clasts formed in a unique part of the protoplanetary disk enriched in presolar materials,” the research team said in a study recently published in Science Advances.

Very cool!

11 Likes
5 Likes

Thanks for the new desktop background.

4 Likes

Neat :grin::+1:

It’s the Elephant Trunk Nebula.

7 Likes
5 Likes

… our local news media seem to use East Coast or Greenwich time to announce when moons are full — even if for us it was the previous night :full_moon: :thinking:

1 Like

NASA and pals complete Artemis II recovery dress rehearsal

[…]

Underway Recovery Test (URT) 10 saw NASA, the US Navy and US Air Force teaming up to test post-splashdown operations for the end of Artemis II’s forthcoming lunar excursion. Unlike recovery tests for Artemis I, which was unmanned, this test included crew operations to ensure the four-person complement gets out of the Orion capsule and back to the recovery ship without incident.

[…]

3 Likes

European space researchers are turning to an interesting place to find new antimicrobial coatings to keep the insides of future space suits from becoming stinky, bacteria-laden biohazards: the bacteria themselves.

Everyone who’s had to keep a kitchen or bathtub clean is familiar with prodigiosin - it’s the pink gunk produced by bacteria that dirties up surfaces and bathroom grouting at, well, a prodigious rate. Many are likely less familiar with the fact that prodigiosin is itself an antimicrobial agent, but researchers at the Austrian Space Forum (OeWF) are well aware of its usefulness.

[…]

3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

As it turned out, the poster was Secret Hitler. :astonished:

5 Likes

Space Nazis. I hate those guys!

5 Likes

Even worse than Illinois Nazis!

6 Likes

The pranksters, led by a man named Clayton Counts (who went by the moniker: SpaceHitler), would phone in just to fuck up Jones’ show, screaming “DIE! DIE! DIE!” or calling him “Jarhead Jones,” which infuriated him to no end.

The result? “Alex would melt down and freak out,” said Sotelo. “He would lunge at the callbox to disconnect them; he would get into fights with them. He was a mess.”

And then, there was an incident that took place in the parking lot of the public access station that characterized the way Jones would sensationalize and spin stories in the decades to come. Police records show the incident took place in 1997.

3 Likes

BBC News - Chandrayaan-3: Historic India mission enters Moon orbit, aiming for south pole

3 Likes
3 Likes

The scrappy guy took a step back, which emboldened Jones, who puffed out his chest and continued to threaten the guy. “And the guy just goes, ‘You know what? Fucking just shoot me then!'” explained Sotelo. “He just pops him with a roundhouse.”

“It just stunned Alex,” Sotelo continued. “Alex was just dazed for a couple of seconds. And the guy just hit him again—two solid shots to the face. And Alex starts hitting back, and it’s like he’s just throwing his hands straight forward; it’s really inept.”

Not only was the little scrappy guy kicking Alex Jones’ ass, but he was also shit-talking to him between punches: “Oh, you’re a professional fighter.” POP! “Oh, you do this for a living.” POP!

“He hits Alex, no exaggeration, eight to 10 times in the face—and all of them were good,” recalled Sotelo.

Man, this made my whole day. Maybe my week.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Wonder if this will hold up.

4 Likes

The Riddler Batman GIF

8 Likes