Spaaaaace

3 Likes

Very interesting discussion of panspermia. No proof, of course, but kinda mindblowing!

Eric Wareheim Mind Blown GIF by Tim and Eric

3 Likes
5 Likes

Photo by Jeff Kanipe, Rio Rancho, New Mexico, 2023.

8 Likes

Confused Korean Drama GIF by The Swoon

2 Likes

YaSj

3 Likes

Free space doughnuts for everybody?

3 Likes
3 Likes

i saw a lot of clouds, and unfortunately have no photos worth sharing. :confused: the three minutes of ring itself were completely obscured. :cloud: still, everyone oohed and awwed whenever the crescent would peek out of the murk. :crescent_moon: and wow, did it get cold. :ice_cube:

2 Likes

I made it out to Bryce Canyon, Utah to view the eclipse with my kids. It was definitely a popular place to watch it, and I later saw a number of photos published in national newspapers that had been taken from the same trails we were hiking on.

For example, here’s a photo that was in the Wahington Post:

And here’s a photo that I took, which probably includes the WaPo photographer:

We had glasses to view the eclipse but projecting it onto the ground using my binoculars worked well too:

9 Likes

ETA

4 Likes
1 Like

Interesting image on APOD today:

It’s possibly a proto-moon disk around a planet.

ETA click the APOD link for explanation, but the proto-moon disk is the fuzzy patch around the proto-planet to the right of the central star in the image.

4 Likes

There are three US companies now capable of flying people into space—SpaceX, Blue Origin, and Virgin Galactic—and representatives from those three companies told lawmakers on Wednesday that the industry is not yet mature enough for a new set of federal safety regulations for their customers.

A nearly 20-year moratorium on federal regulations regarding the safety of passengers on commercial human spaceflight missions is set to expire on January 1. It was scheduled to lapse at the beginning of October, but Congress added a three-month extension to a stopgap spending bill signed into law to prevent a government shutdown.

3 Likes
3 Likes

“one person on the planet … to be injured or killed every two years.”

That seems…excessive to me. 75% water, and a lot of the rest not densely populated and you still expect it to hit someone that frequently?

1 Like
1 Like

A great achievement - and yet, it could have been so much more.

1 Like

Mars chilled for aeons, but stayed so stressed it gets crusty marsquakes

1 Like

Moonstruck Modi wants lunar Indian crew by 2040

1 Like