Spaaaaace

4 Likes
2 Likes

On my way into work this morning, saw a fireball high to the east-northeast of my line of travel. Pretty cool! Short line of flight before it poofed, but I haven’t seen a ton of those. Part of the Perseids, maybe?

7 Likes
3 Likes

“the wandering jupiter”…nice. thnx.

1 Like

Asteroid That Killed the Dinosaurs Has a Bizarre Origin Story

And a tragic end.

9 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

As is the custom these days, the device features AI-infused image processing hardware for dealing with problematic lighting conditions, removing haze and atmospheric interference, and reducing noise.

Boooo

5 Likes
5 Likes

Japan’s Astroscale gets contract for space junk harvesting robotic arm

Japanese space debris cleaning outfit Astroscale revealed on Monday that it will enter a ¥12 billion ($81.4 million) five-year contract with the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency to remove the upper stage of the space org’s H-IIA rocket from orbit using a newly developed satellite.

That satellite – ADRAS-J2 – will be equipped with a robotic arm to capture and deorbit the rocket parts. The debris is categorized as a non-cooperative object, meaning it does not actively communicate or provide location data and may tumble or move unpredictably.

[…]

6 Likes

Risky Mission? Can we nominate some people to go for a ride?

5 Likes

Their orbital path will extend high enough to plunge the vehicle and crew into a radiation belt, adding another element of peril to the already treacherous experience of spaceflight

is this a good idea while a really strong solar maximum is happening? dragon doesnt seem to have any radiation shelter seeing her size.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Historic milestone for Polish space science as they successfully launch Eagleeye satellite

https://www.euronews.com/next/2024/08/18/historic-milestone-for-polish-pace-science-as-they-successfully-launch-eagleeye-satellite

5 Likes

ESA’s Juice probe dances with Earth and Moon before shooting off to Jupiter

3 Likes

unnamed

5 Likes

Rocket Factory Augsburg engine test ends in explosion at SaxaVord spaceport

3 Likes