Spaaaaace

4 Likes

The fact that most people in the developed world carry phones with more computing power than NASA had in the late 60’s/early 70’s kind of puts a damper on the significance of going to the moon more than 40 years after the last Apollo mission.

4 Likes

It’s not a great movie, but damn it’s a beautiful one. The atmosphere (or vacuum!) is amazing, even if the story gets kind of weak.

3 Likes

Nightmare fuel!

What movie did this creature come out of? Or are there really spiders on our satellite?

2 Likes

Ah, but it didn’t rely only on computers, right? It involved a lot of people, companies and new technologies. I agree with you. We are so surrounded by technology that we forget that in the past things were much more difficult. Taking a trip to space from scratch was as much of an effort as it was of the ancient navigators who launched themselves into the sea in their puny nutshells.

For example, I read about Mrs. Margareth Hamilton, who practically wrote a code of the size of an encyclopedia to correct a navigation problem. Today it would be easier, just ploting some data in app and voilĂĄ, space uber!

There is also the anecdote about the lingerie factory that developed space suits. They called on ladies specializing in bras and other underwear to sew astronauts’ clothes.

https://www.ilcdover.com/catalog/space-suits-2/

5 Likes

The Doctor Who story “Kill the Moon”. Its a stupid story at all levels, but it has those cool moon spiders.

2 Likes

I always thought there were only spiders on Mars and these creatures played guitar.

Really cool, indeed. Scary as hell, specially the mouth!

2 Likes
5 Likes

Bezos to the Moon: Blue Origin fires up BE-7 engine to be used in human lunar mission

2 Likes
6 Likes

Trump was convinced to keep quiet about something? I find this claim dubious.

10 Likes

They flashy thinged him.

9 Likes

9 Likes

Trump was convinced to keep quiet about something that would get him attention, for the good of humanity. That right there is less plausible than everything else said, right down to a Galactic Federation wanting research help from the US and Israel specifically.

8 Likes

If this were true, they’d only be talking to Angela, not the incompetent and/or cruel governments in charge of the US and Israel right now…

4 Likes

Don’t give up on Planet Nine yet: Hubble 'scope finds just such a world a mere 336 light-years away

2 Likes

I was waiting for a Musk explosion thread.

4 Likes
2 Likes

There will be an eclipse today, they say.

We don´t have a forecast of rain.

It will be visible in south hemisphere, they say.

It will be visible in South America, they say.

It will be visible in Brazil, they say.

I made a contraption with old radiographies of my knees. (EDIT: Never, never do it. Use a wielder standard No.14 shade glass hardened lens. It is cheap and will protect your eyes)

I tryed to see the eclipse…

It will be only partial in Rio…

The “gambiarra”:

The beginning of the eclipse:

EDIT - The climax:

EDIT - The end of my series:

10 Likes